Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Oracle Sequence NEXTVAL Problem
Oracle Sequence NEXTVAL Problem [message #167187] Tue, 11 April 2006 13:39 Go to next message
f018342
I am trying to get the next value from the sequence to use in populating two tables that require the same "ID". It seems no matter what I do, I cannot get the value. I am using C#.

----------------------------------------------------------------
REM AVMMGR AVM_HISTORY_SEQ

CREATE SEQUENCE "AVMMGR"."AVM_HISTORY_SEQ" MINVALUE 1 MAXVALUE 999999999999999999 INCREMENT BY 1 START WITH 20 NOCACHE NOORDER NOCYCLE ;
SELECT AVM_HISTORY_SEQ.NEXTVAL AS NEXT_ID FROM DUAL

{"ORA-02289: sequence does not exist" }

SELECT AVMMGR.AVM_HISTORY_SEQ.NEXTVAL AS NEXT_ID FROM DUAL

{"ORA-00942: table or view does not exist" }
I am using Oracle's Oracle.DataAccess.Client .NET driver.
Re: Oracle Sequence NEXTVAL Problem [message #167214 is a reply to message #167187] Tue, 11 April 2006 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
ORA-00942 is telling you that the table DUAL doesn't exist. If the sequence didn't exist, you'd get a different error:
select a.nextval from dual
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02289: sequence does not exist

Check that you somehow haven't been denied access from DUAL.
Try
SELECT 1 FROM DUAL 
as a test to be sure that this is the problem.

Ross Leishman
Re: Oracle Sequence NEXTVAL Problem [message #167312 is a reply to message #167214] Wed, 12 April 2006 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
f018342
This worked!
Re: Oracle Sequence NEXTVAL Problem [message #167416 is a reply to message #167312] Wed, 12 April 2006 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
SELECT sequence_owner, sequence_name
FROM  dba_sequences;

Is your sequence there? If so post the results of this SQL and show us.

Ross Leishman
Re: Oracle Sequence NEXTVAL Problem [message #167514 is a reply to message #167416] Thu, 13 April 2006 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
f018342
Here's what I discovered. It appears that if I set the user and password to the owner, it works. But when I log on as another user, it fails; even if I use the "owner." with the SQL. Definitely a permissions issue.

orConn = new OracleConnection("user id=avmmgr;data source=InfoDev;password=tree02;Persist Security Info=true;");

OracleDataAdapter orDA = new OracleDataAdapter("SELECT AVMMGR.AVM_HISTORY_SEQ.NEXTVAL AS NextID FROM dual",orConn);

...works.

orConn = new OracleConnection("user id=avmapp;data source=InfoDev;password=flower4;Persist Security Info=true;");

OracleDataAdapter orDA = new OracleDataAdapter("SELECT AVMMGR.AVM_HISTORY_SEQ.NEXTVAL AS NextID FROM dual",orConn);

...does not work.

OracleDataAdapter orDA = new OracleDataAdapter("SELECT AVMAPP.AVM_HISTORY_SEQ.NEXTVAL AS NextID FROM dual",orConn);

...does not work either.

I am using the new Oracle SQL Developer tool, and it seems to have no way to set permissions for a sequence.

BTW, I am also having permissions problems with "some" tables; even though they are set up the same way. Using "Grant" to AVMAPP for each table.

Very baffling and very frustrating.
Re: Oracle Sequence NEXTVAL Problem [message #167529 is a reply to message #167514] Thu, 13 April 2006 10:02 Go to previous message
f018342
I have found the problem!

It appears that Oracle's security model was getting in the way. Even though Oracle's new SQL Developer tool allows you to CREATE tables, indexes, sequences, triggers, and GRANT rights, unless you have some "super-user" rights (as the DBA), you actually cannot GRANT anything!

It gives you no error message, warning,....nothing. Once I had the DBA here set the AVMAPP user rights to the sequence (as well as other stuff I created), everything started working.

The Oracle error messages don't help much either.

Thanks for all your attention, effort, and help.

Bob
Previous Topic: Twisted Query
Next Topic: calculating subtotals and totals using decode and rollup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:57:57 CDT 2024