Home » Other » Marketplace » Please advise.
icon8.gif  Please advise. [message #161662] Mon, 06 March 2006 09:42 Go to next message
ikedot

Hello everyone.
This is my first time on this. I joined this forum on Friday last week.

I am an Information Systems graduate student in Washington, DC. I am very much interested in Oracle and I want my career path to include oracle related products and work. Right now I am interested in the DBA program but my first degree is in Sociology, I have quite some experience in business and advertising and now I am getting my Masters degree, I am billed to graduate in December. I haven’t worked core IT before. I need a lot of experience to break into the field I know.

I am also interested in the Business side of Oracle. Could anyone please offer advice into what I would have to do if I wanted to work on the business side of any organization using Oracle as its primary backbone whether as a database or the enterprise manager.
Should I still proceed and study and take the DBA exam so I have a proper understanding of the technology before I decide where exactly I want to focus on?

Help will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Re: Please advise. [message #161695 is a reply to message #161662] Mon, 06 March 2006 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
If you have started a course - finish it! Don't fixate on Oracle. If you intend getting into the business side there may be (however unlikely Smile ) a non-Oracle product that better fits an organisation's requirements.

David
Re: Please advise. [message #161697 is a reply to message #161695] Mon, 06 March 2006 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ikedot

I am currently in a Masters degree program, but i understand that this is not enough to have a firm grip on a job or a IT position in the labor market. I understand that Oracle professionals are quite valuable to their employers and also quite sought after.
Yes, i plan on completing my masters program but i want something else added on to give me an advantage amongst my peers. I am an international student and returning to my country is not particularly something i am looking at right now, without the necessary experience to get me ahead.
Re: Please advise. [message #161899 is a reply to message #161697] Tue, 07 March 2006 16:28 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Quote:

I am an international student and returning to my country is not particularly something i am looking at right now, without the necessary experience to get me ahead.
This is not a problem that I have had to face. However, in the thirty years that I have been contracting, I have twice been on 'extended vacation'. The first time I retrained from IBM mainframes to Oracle and the second time I sold house mortgages (without pay - just to keep busy and help disadvantaged borrowers). When I retrained from mainframes to Oracle I rang Oracle Corporation in the town in which I was living and asked if they needed any 'slaves' (please excuse the use of a word that has extremely negative connotations for many people but it is the term we use in Australia for contractors who work for below market rate in exchange for training / experience). I know you are currently studying but there will be Oracle shops nearby who would be willing to let you work on a project as long as they can see the cost benefit to them. If your visa does not permit you to be paid, then agree to do the work without charge, NEVER break your visa restrictions. (I currently work for the Immigration Department in Australia and I see all the press releases and statistics of the visa violators and the consequences. It is not pretty.) Please read another post of mine concerning 'cold calling' and telephone interviews http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/137374/67467/#msg_137374.

David
Previous Topic: Business Dev. Consultant opening at Oracle
Next Topic: Oracle Apps Order Management Functional
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:50:41 CDT 2024