Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Now that was interesting - mysql failure
Now that was interesting - mysql failure [message #155963] Fri, 20 January 2006 00:02 Go to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Received these messages:
Quote:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11) in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forum/index.php on line 20

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forum/index.php on line 20

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forum/index.php on line 20

Fatal error: SQL Error has occurred, please contact the administrator of the forum and have them review the forum's SQL query log in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forum/data/include/core.inc on line 189

Interesting - we don't run an Oracle database. But I suppose we ARE a free site so are probably a bit short of cash.

David
Re: Now that was interesting - mysql failure [message #155965 is a reply to message #155963] Fri, 20 January 2006 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Too large for Oracle XE?
Re: Now that was interesting - mysql failure [message #155967 is a reply to message #155965] Fri, 20 January 2006 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Yea - how big ARE our ramblings?

David
Re: Now that was interesting - mysql failure [message #155968 is a reply to message #155963] Fri, 20 January 2006 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi David,

Quote:

Interesting - we don't run an Oracle database. But I suppose we ARE a free site so are probably a bit short of cash.

I'm ashamed to admit, but most of the site is using MySQL. Now that Oracle XE is available, I hope we could port some sections to Oracle. However, database replacements are never easy. So, don't expect it too soon.

What cash? Every penny we make goes back into running and developing this site. There is no way we would be able to raise the money required to buy a commercial Oracle license.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Now that was interesting - mysql failure [message #155971 is a reply to message #155968] Fri, 20 January 2006 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
With all these top-notch developers around, would it be a good idea to create some sort of open-source-like HTMLDB project?
Re: Now that was interesting - mysql failure [message #156012 is a reply to message #155971] Fri, 20 January 2006 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Frank Naude wrote:
>> I'm ashamed to admit, but most of the site is using MySQL.
No. It is the reality~!. Oracle is still a big,bad,beast in open source world, methinks. Smile.
I ***believe*** very few forums (OTN,Metalink,AskTom etc) use pure oracle related products.
All the rest free communities use MySQL/PostgreSQL ( through phpbb and custom development) or mailing lists/usenet.
Considering the volume of posts/traffic Orafaq handles, we are doing great with MySQL.

Frank wrote:
>> With all these top-notch developers around, would it be a good idea to create some sort of open-source-like HTMLDB project?
That is a cool idea.
In fact we can initiate some free tool/ open source projects for oracle ?
Out there, there are many folks doing this (sourceforge,oss.oracle.com etc).
Can we make a difference? How feasible is this?
Re: Now that was interesting - mysql failure [message #156122 is a reply to message #156012] Sun, 22 January 2006 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Perhaps we should just push for Oracle to make HTMLDB open source? They are bundling it 'free' (or price-inclusive may be abetter term) with their DB product but we would need to be able to handle the middle tier on something other than AS.

David
Re: Now that was interesting - mysql failure [message #156545 is a reply to message #155963] Wed, 25 January 2006 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
I believe the XE edition is a max of 2gig. htmldb would be free for that, but by the time you add htmldb overhead and users, I gotta think this site has way way more data than what is left out of the starting 2gig. Unless the format of the site were to change dramatically, as in the recent discusion on Tom's blog and wiki related functionality. Even then, only a matter of time before content would have to be aged out.

Standard Edition One would be the next option, at 5 grand per proc.
Re: Now that was interesting - mysql failure [message #221803 is a reply to message #156545] Wed, 28 February 2007 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Even more interesting how quickly the word spread -

http://www.theopenforce.com/2006/03/oracle_faq_runs.html
Re: Now that was interesting - mysql failure [message #352296 is a reply to message #155963] Tue, 07 October 2008 00:21 Go to previous message
janebush08
That's really funny.... thanks for the link Frank....

[Updated on: Tue, 07 October 2008 00:40] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: renaming the userid
Next Topic: request sql formatter tool in formating tools (post form)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:25:53 CDT 2024