Home » Other » Marketplace » Need help on Hourly Rates for 1099
Need help on Hourly Rates for 1099 [message #155613] Tue, 17 January 2006 11:55 Go to next message
madprog
I have been trying to do research on this and the rates are all over the board. I am currently in a full time position as a lead Oracle/VB/Java developer. I gave up my own business to go full time to do the family thing. No I would like to go back and reopen my business. First though I would like to go through a consulting/placement firm to do my consulting. What rates are we at. 6 years ago my rate was 90.00/hour. here is a summary of experience
15 year prog experience:
VB
Oracle pl/sql, SQl, DBA
Java - J2ee/Websphere

I do not want to be short changed like I was 10 years ago!!! I want to rebuild the foundation to have my own Co. again.

THanks
S
Re: Need help on Hourly Rates for 1099 [message #155709 is a reply to message #155613] Wed, 18 January 2006 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
madprog wrote on Tue, 17 January 2006 18:55

Need help on Hourly Rates for 1099
What is 1099? I don't expect it to be a year. If it is something US specific (and don't ask me why but I can feel it is http://www.orafaq.com/forum/images/message_icons/icon10.gif), bear in mind that this is an international forum and that the world does expand outside the borders of the "land of the Free" Wink.

But on topic:
If I look at your (brief) list I cannot see any true field of expertise. This might backfire.
Anyway, rates are based on the level of the actual job (and the responsibilities it comes with), level of expertise in that particular domain, location, ... . I mean: a Java developer in Dallas (US)can have a different hourly rate than a DBA in Salt Lake City (US) or an Oracle developer in Utrecht (NL) or a VB tester in Bangalore (IN)...

MHE

EDIT: Typo

[Updated on: Thu, 19 January 2006 01:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need help on Hourly Rates for 1099 [message #155812 is a reply to message #155709] Wed, 18 January 2006 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I had the same feeling, "this is an international forum" but I googled (good grief, a trademark as a verb) '1099' and found that 1099 IS a product of the 'land of the free' (but who kidnap all foreign tourists going to Canada via Hawaii and pass them through their border control system, whether they wish to enter the US of A or not). Anyway, have a look at www.1099.com, or talk to a few agents, they know how much a particular skill set is paying in a particular location.

David
Re: Need help on Hourly Rates for 1099 [message #155832 is a reply to message #155812] Wed, 18 January 2006 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
It is just a terminology ( actually a form ) used for tax purposes.
A typical employee gets W2 form.
A typical self-employed / independent contractor gets a 1099 form.
Just another reason, to keep in mind that this a world wide portal.
Re: Need help on Hourly Rates for 1099 [message #156337 is a reply to message #155832] Tue, 24 January 2006 15:45 Go to previous message
d.fowler

rates will vary by location in US. East coast/West Coast/ midwest
travel or work from home, onsite short-term project,

If you go thru another firm to get work, what is there overhead, some are upfront with you, other hide client bill rate to low ball you.

Need to determine what/where your working and get a feel for market place.

Previous Topic: Free Seminar on Oracle 9i DBA @ Q-Soft Bangalore.
Next Topic: Oracle WMS Consultant for Greece
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:52:50 CDT 2024