Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » How do I switch databases in Personal Edition
How do I switch databases in Personal Edition [message #1356] Wed, 24 April 2002 05:46 Go to next message
Stefan
I am quite an experienced Access user. Have been on an Oracle SQL Plus course. Installed Oracle 8i Personal Edition on my Windows 98 pc with the idea I would learn Oracle.

There seems to be so much documentation that it is very difficult to know where to start.

Have successfully created databases, started SQLPlus, got the Navigater running etc. But I just can not fathom out how I switch from the sample database to the databases I have created so that I can start using SQL to create my own tables etc. Am I missing something simple?
Re: How do I switch databases in Personal Edition [message #1357 is a reply to message #1356] Wed, 24 April 2002 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
you can "switch" the databases by starting that particular instance from svrmgrl or controlpanel/services.
then you need to login to that database.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 March 2009 15:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do I switch databases in Personal Edition [message #1368 is a reply to message #1356] Wed, 24 April 2002 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan
Mahesh, thanks for your reply but I am still puzzled.

All the databases are installed on my local pc under the same home.

I can connect to the sample database without starting anything.

I have created new databases under the same home called 'test' and 'stefan'.

I am able to successfully start both 'test' and 'stefan' by going to the Windows Start>Programs>Oracle8>DatabaseAdministration>StartDatabase.

I can not find svrmgrl or controlpanel anywhere in the Oracle 8 program options nor in the documentation.

I did try typing svrmgrl at the dos prompt and got a SVRMGRL> prompt but I have no idea what to type.

Or do you mean when I start SQLPLUS in Windows, I get a prompt:

User id
Password
Host String

I usually leave the Host String blank, should I fill this in, with what?

Thanks for your help
Re: How do I switch databases in Personal Edition [message #1375 is a reply to message #1368] Wed, 24 April 2002 08:07 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
yeah!.
since the database is installed in the same machine, you no need to give the service_name.
but when you want to connect to any one of them, you need to specify the service_name.
its been more than 4 years that i have worked with personal oracle. so i am not sure whether the following options are available with your version.
so go to the command promot.
---
first identify and locate the initsid.ora that is used for the database stephen.
shutdown all the databases.
type svrmgrl
/* this opens only that particular database*/.

svrmgrl> startup open pfil='path of the initsid.ora for stefen';
/* use net8configuration assistent(gui) or edit tnsnames.ora to configure different service_name
for the two databases.
once it is done you can log to those database like
connect scott/tiger@test;
connect mahesh/mahesh@stefan;

svrmgrl is servermanager untility (almost like sql*plus) where we can issue standard sql statements to manage the databaase.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 March 2009 15:22]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: date type
Next Topic: Re: date type
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:25:19 CDT 2024