Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Problem with the connecting string - Needs Help
Problem with the connecting string - Needs Help [message #147971] Tue, 22 November 2005 00:12 Go to next message
ramsat
Hai,

I installed Oracle using port number 1521. It was a succesful installation and a database was created successfully.

When i tried to connect in the below fashion like

connect user_name/password@instance_name
i could not able to logon

where as when i connect using user_name/password, this is getting connected

To check this i created a tnsnames file with the same username and password for the same database, Even that was successful.

So, what is the problem.

as a solution i changed the port number (2030)in listener and tnsnames but no solution please help me.

Re: Problem with the connecting string - Needs Help [message #147978 is a reply to message #147971] Tue, 22 November 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Explain OS version, Oracle version first.

And

post back your tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files.

regards,
tarun
Re: Problem with the connecting string - Needs Help [message #148020 is a reply to message #147978] Tue, 22 November 2005 05:35 Go to previous message
tarundua
I am posting this on behalf of Ramesh,

The issue is resolved and the solution is :

Ramesh (ramsat) wrote
Quote:

What happened u know. For heterogenous services there will be a tnsnames file existing under the directory 'HS'.
This happened me bcoz i was using the heterogenous services and the file gets affected eventhough iam using another file -tnsnames.ora ( and i am also not using this heterogenous services - using the oracle normal facility alone)
Oracle when gets connected will find a name conflict with the original one and the additional one.
That is why it conects with uname/pwd(understands it is within the machine) and not with the connection string.
What i did is i masked the extra file and then connected it works perfect.
This could be experienced only when a set up the Heterogenous services.
This is one such great problem that could happen and if so no external programs like C++ or java will be difficult to connect through application.
I could not open orafaq from office. if u could for the benefit of others please post this.

Cool

[Updated on: Tue, 22 November 2005 05:37]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: database links
Next Topic: Oracle Client - Server Connectivity Problem through VSAT - Error : No Listener
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 05:27:26 CDT 2024