Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » viewing data dynamically??question for Forms Gurus??
viewing data dynamically??question for Forms Gurus?? [message #146475] Thu, 10 November 2005 14:32 Go to next message
ramisy2k
Hello gentlemen,

I have a application in 9i and Forms 6i, the main purpose of my programme for the end user is to extract the information from data stored in the different database. The user will not be able to add, delete or update the data but can only view the analysis and calculation on the data through queries in Forms and then save it into txt files directly from forms..(though he can not see the actual tables data as it is stored but only anylysis on it)

i have made some Forms based on VIEWS and thats fine

In one another Form, I have programmed such a funtionlaity by which end user will make his choices about the data he wants to view and Filter it using the criteria provided on the Form and then execute the query..

In other words the user will generate the query to be executed at run-time by passing global variables to the Form and then view the data..For this purpose I have made my Form (under discussion) on From Clause Block property..

Gentlemen,the problem is that in my (From Clause) Form has columns (items) created in layout editor which are only related to query being generated and executed at run-time so the user can only filter the column data but not the other columns he would like to see or not by generating another query

In my application the number of different types of queries generated at run time can be over 10,000 so I cannot make one Form each for each of those queries. That is why i have used 'From Clause property' in which the query is passed at run time and the data is viewed..but at it can only show the data about the columns which have been created in layout editor

I would like to have such a functionlity in my Form using which my Form is not only ONE query depenedent (or fixed number or columns dependent). But based on the query passed in the Form the user would be able to see any type of data from different columns in his query??

..my question is this how can I achieve this..? or waht whould i do to acheive this

I have heared that using Oracle Spread Table OCX feature in froms this can be done perhaps
I hope my question would be clear to all..

Note: all data will be based numeric, date or alphabetical characters only viewed in tablular for with 28 records)

regards.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 November 2005 14:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: viewing data dynamically??question for Forms Gurus?? [message #146532 is a reply to message #146475] Thu, 10 November 2005 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Have a look at the threads referenced by http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/118075/67467/?srch=person+days#msg_118075 and http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/121796/67467/?srch=%22person+days%22#msg_121796. Are they discussing a problem similar to yours?

David
Re: viewing data dynamically??question for Forms Gurus?? [message #146580 is a reply to message #146532] Fri, 11 November 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramisy2k
David, the above links discuss alomost the same problem but do not give any final answer how to achove this..
would you please help..

regards,
Re: viewing data dynamically??question for Forms Gurus?? [message #146750 is a reply to message #146580] Sun, 13 November 2005 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
You say you have a view through which you can retrieve your data. Try a simple form based on that view and you get back the data that you want but, unfortunately, with data that you DON'T want to display. Is this correct?

Please explain how YOU will know which fields are to be shown to which user? Tell me how you will know and I will tell you how to display them.

David
Re: viewing data dynamically??question for Forms Gurus?? [message #147550 is a reply to message #146475] Fri, 18 November 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramisy2k
David, I dont have a View,
i have a Form with a From Clause Block...
I generate my query at run time by pasing global variables to the From Clause Block SELECT query in 'pre-query trigger'
and then the data is displayed in the Form..
the problem is that my Form is dependent only to the items created in layout editor but I want to make such a dynamic Form in which the columns are adjusted and shown accorddng to the query excecuted at run-time by passing global variables..

some times the query may be

SELECT COL1, COL1, COL1...COL10 FROM T
SOMETIMES
JUST
SELECT COL1, COL2, COL10 FROM T

AND SO. ON..
I HAVE heared that Oracle spread table can do that just like excel spread sheet when we pasted any type of data in excel the columns are created and adjuested according to the data pasted or inserted...

there is no certainty that which columns would be in every
query..as the query is genrated at runtime form all the db tables..
hope this will clear my problem...

[Updated on: Fri, 18 November 2005 03:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: viewing data dynamically??question for Forms Gurus?? [message #149769 is a reply to message #147550] Sun, 04 December 2005 22:33 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
How about this? Create a block with nine items: item_1, item_2, item3, ... item_9.

Then do your query
SELECT COL1 item_1,
       COL1 item_2,
       COL1 item_3,
       COL10 item_9 FROM T
some of the time and
SELECT COL1 item_1,
       COL2 item_2,
       COL10 item_3,
       null item_9 FROM T
the other time.

Please give feedback on this solution.

David
Previous Topic: creating exe of a form
Next Topic: Oracle Locator and Map functionality & viewing Location Map using Forms 6i (merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:28:13 CDT 2024