Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN hot backup script to disk
RMAN hot backup script to disk [message #143458] Thu, 20 October 2005 09:06 Go to next message
kapil2005
I want a RMAN hot backup script to DISK not to TAPE and without using recovery catalog. oracle version is 9206 and hp 11i
Re: RMAN hot backup script to disk [message #143466 is a reply to message #143458] Thu, 20 October 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmahireddy
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmconc1.htm#430706

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmbackp.htm#443330

Re: RMAN hot backup script to disk [message #143468 is a reply to message #143458] Thu, 20 October 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
and for database MyProd, to be executed from /backup/scripts ...?

Please understand, every site requires its own backup / recovery strategey. It all depends on your NEED, your resources, your users and your effforts you can throw during recovery process and regular maintainence.
You cannot generalize this.
And , backing up is not at a big deal. One command will do it. But consistently restoring is what matters. FOr that, you need some understanding.

RMAN> backup database plus archivelog;

Few simple scenarios ( which will NEVER occur in real-time).
http://www.orafaq.com/faq/RDBMS_Server/Backup_Recovery/RMAN/faq42.htm
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/135192/42800/#msg_135192
The rest here
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/toc.htm

Re: RMAN hot backup script to disk [message #143553 is a reply to message #143468] Thu, 20 October 2005 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kapil2005
rman target sys/*** nocatalog
run {
allocate channel t1 type disk;
backup
format '/app/oracle/db_backup/%d_t%t_s%s_p%p'
( database );
release channel t1;
}
So in the above script the all datafiles, redo log files and controfiles are written to "'/app/oracle/db_backup" dir on unix, correct? please help me in understanding this.
the database i am running is already registered in recovery catalog and we also have a hot backup that runs in the night to tape. so was wondering is the above script would works with database that is already registered in RMAN catalog?
Re: RMAN hot backup script to disk [message #143582 is a reply to message #143553] Fri, 21 October 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
HI

The script will run perfectly, with just one difference:
Since you are not using catalog here, all backup related information will get stored in controlfile of target database only & your catalog will not be updated.

**in order to update the catalog, you will require to resync it with the target database.
**( This I have never tried.)

Experts please correct me here if i m wrong.

--Girish
Re: RMAN hot backup script to disk [message #143731 is a reply to message #143458] Fri, 21 October 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kapil2005
i just ran this script it ran pretty quick and just create one file in /hotbackup/proto_rman_bkup/db_572260540_1_p1 file, so it copied all the datafiles and control file into that one file?
Re: RMAN hot backup script to disk [message #143771 is a reply to message #143731] Sat, 22 October 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
yes, the file that you obtained is a backup set & contains backup of all your database files
Re: RMAN hot backup script to disk [message #143779 is a reply to message #143458] Sat, 22 October 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kapil2005
So if take this bakup set put in a different server can i restore all datafile from this back set to different locations? if yes, then how it is possible? do you have any script? do restore all datafile on a different server from this backup set?
Re: RMAN hot backup script to disk [message #144116 is a reply to message #143779] Tue, 25 October 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
Did you searched for restoration process of RMAN backup on another machine?

A specific link for you:

http://www.cs.umb.edu/cs634/ora9idocs/server.920/a96566/rcmrecov.htm#1007526

& whole of google:

http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&q=oracle%3A+restoring+database+to+new+system+using+RMAN&meta=

Re: RMAN full database recovery [message #144236 is a reply to message #143458] Tue, 25 October 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kapil2005
Here is what I was wondering:
My database p123 is registered into recovery catalog, RMAN is configured for tape backups and we take a hot backup at 2:00 AM of my database p123 to TAPE every night.
We are going through an application upgrade that will change some of the table’s definitions in the database we have application upgrade scripts and there is no way I can find out what these scripts are doing since it is binary file. so I want to take hot backup just before they run their scripts since our EDM takes forever to write into tape during daytime I cannot take a hot backup to tape during business hrs so I am getting a DISK to take the backup

So I run a hot backup script at 10:30 AM on my database p123 (same) to DISK
In case if users want their database back to how it was before their upgrade I need to restore/recover the database from DISK. So I was wondering if I run the below script whether it is going to recover from TAPE or DISK?

Rman target sys/******** nocatalog
Run{
STARTUP FORCE MOUNT;
RESTORE DATABASE;
RECOVER DATABASE;
ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
}
Is the above script is correct to restore from DISK with no catalog? Please help me

Re: RMAN full database recovery [message #144359 is a reply to message #144236] Wed, 26 October 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
Yes it will do. as RMAN comes preconfigured with a DISK channel.

But first check on test system before benchmarking this backup/recovery process.

--Girish
UNIVERSAL RMAN hot backup script to disk- no recovery catalog [message #443875 is a reply to message #143458] Wed, 17 February 2010 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stevekerver
Here's a GREAT script for UNIX platforms, which does not require the use of a recovery catalog- in fact, I believe it to be the *only* RMAN script you'll probably ever need, because it figures out most of what you need FOR you.
It automatically implements Oracle best practices, and will work with versions from 9i to 11G, and will work with both Data Guard and RAC (just put the script on each server, and then offset the time at which it runs by an hour, the script will do the rest).

It will also perform other important basic maintenance items like cleaning out old archive logs and other recovery files you no longer need, rolling your listener logs, and clearing out old trace, mail spool, and dump files that would normally unnecessarily consume disk space (based on the keep interval you specify).

Oh- and if there are any problems, it will e-mail you and tell you exactly where the problem happened, and why.

There are some basic assumptions- that is, you'll need to provide your own values for all of the variables (see the VARIABLES and CONSTANTS sections), you'll probably need to have the $ORACLE_HOME correctly set in the .bash_profile, and create a directory for the output of each backup run to go (specified by the BACKUP_LOG_DIR_NAME variable, which assumes that the aforementioned directory will be in the same location as the script). It also assumes that mailx is configured properly on your server. You may also need to do a little reformatting if you copy and paste from here to a text file to ensure that everything is on the right line (so comments won't get interpreted as code). Additionally, you may want to alter some of the RMAN CONFIGURE commands to suit your needs. But once you've got it all configured and running, it makes backup and recovery a snap.

My implementation uses a cron job to call a script, which then calls the main script below using the syntax:
/home/oracle/RMAN_BACKUP.txt >> /home/oracle/backup_logs/backup_log_`date +"%m_%d_%y_%R:%S"`.txt

I've also enclosed a copy of the original file which you can download (scroll aaaaaallll the way to the bottom). This should make it so the amount of formatting you need to do is- well, zero. Just download, and drop it into your directory of choice (I use /home/oracle).

I spent over two months doing a comprehensive study of RMAN, and then writing and testing it on a variety of 'NIX platforms- I hope it works for you.

Enjoy!

#!/bin/bash
#------------------------------------------
#NOTES
#
#To run this script, use the following syntax: ./RMAN_BACKUP.txt >> /home/oracle/backup_logs/backup_log_`date +"%m_%d_%y_%R:%S"`.txt
#This script also presumes you have a directory named whatever your $BACKUP_LOG_DIR_NAME is (see the CONSTANTS section below), located in the same directory as this script.
#This is a "UNIVERSAL" backup script, so it will automatically apply Oracle best practices, and make use of the best features available in all versions from 9 to 11.
#It will also automatically back up all databases, and manage all logs, no matter how many databases or listeners are running on a single server.
#See the notes at the end of this script for details on how to RECOVER your database from backup.
#------------------------------------------#End notes
#VARIABLES -- ALL VARIABLES THAT MUST SUFFER THE INFLEXIBLE TORMENT OF HARDCODING GO HERE- but hey, at least if you need to change something you change it here only once, and you should be good to go.
#
export ORACLE_HOME="/oracle/oracle/db/9.2"
export BACKUP_DESTINATION_9i="/oracle/backup/rman" #If you are backing up a 9i database, this directory MUST be specified to tell oracle where to put the backup files, and a directory with each ORACLE_SID must exist under that location. Otherwise, its not used.
#------------------------------------------#End variables
#SOURCE
#
#If you have an ORACLE_HOME, etc. set in the .bash_profile, this will override whatever got set above in the VARIABLES section.
source ~/.bash_profile
#------------------------------------------#End source
#SET
#
set -u  #No uninitialized variables will be allowed now.
set -x  #Assist in debugging by making output verbose.
#------------------------------------------#End set
#CONSTANTS -- Set it and forget it. The rest of the script uses these variables- so there's no hard-coding. Change it once here, and your change will cascade through the rest of the script.
#
export EMAIL_ADDRESS=<insert_your_email_address_here>
export BACKUP_BASE_DIR=`pwd` #By default, set to wherever this script runs from, but you can change it to whatever you want here.
export BACKUP_LOG_DIR_NAME=backup_logs
export DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS=7
export MAIL_FILE=/var/spool/mail/oracle
export TEMP_DIR=/tmp/oracle

export FILE_DATE=`date +"%m_%d_%y_%R:%S"`
export USE_BLOCK_CHANGE_TRACKING="Y" #Valid values are Y or N to toggle on or off block change tracking for RMAN (block change tracking improves RMAN performance by telling RMAN which blocks have changed- meaning it won't have to read every block in the database.)
export USE_RMAN_BLOCK_CHECKSUM="Y"   #Valid values are Y or N to toggle on or off block check summing for RMAN to detect and repair corrupt data blocks.

export THE_SIDS=`ps -ef|grep pmon|grep -v grep|awk -F_ '{print $NF}'|sed '/^+/ d'` #This lists all of the running PMON processes, which we will then parse to get a list of current ORACLE_SIDs. We then iterate over each ORACLE_SID to determine the databases which will be backed up.
export THE_LISTENERS=`ps -ef|grep tnslsnr|grep -v grep|awk '{print $9}'`   #This lists the name of all the listeners running on the machine. We will parse this and use it to roll the listener logs.
export DUMP_DESTINATIONS=( "audit_file_dest" "background_dump_dest" "core_dump_dest" "user_dump_dest" ) #This array is used later to list the directories where we will delete unneeded trace, audit, listener, and dump files older than your $DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS. Destinations can be added or removed here.

#------------------------------------------#End constants
#FUNCTIONS
#
check_err()
{
if [ $1 -ne 0 ]; then
LINE_NUMBER=$2
LOGFILE=`find "$BACKUP_BASE_DIR"/"$BACKUP_LOG_DIR_NAME" -type f -printf "%TY-%Tm-%Td %TT %p\n" | sort | tail -1|awk '{print $3}'`

MESSAGE_HEADER="RMAN backup script located at $BACKUP_BASE_DIR/"`basename $0`" for oracle SID $ORACLE_SID on host $HOSTNAME failed at (or near) line number $LINE_NUMBER on "`date +"%m_%d_%y_%R:%S"`".

For more information, see the latest database backup log located at $LOGFILE/.
The contents of that log follow below:
----------------------------------------------------"
MESSAGE_BODY=""

if [ "" = "$LOGFILE" ]; then
   MESSAGE_BODY=$3
 else
  n=`wc -l < "$LOGFILE"`
  i=1

while [ "$i" -le "$n" ]
  do
  line=`cat "$LOGFILE" | head -$i | tail -1`
  MESSAGE_BODY="$MESSAGE_BODY
    $line"
 i=`expr $i + 1`
 done 
fi

MESSAGE="
$MESSAGE_HEADER
$MESSAGE_BODY
"

SUBJECT="FAILED DATABASE BACKUP ON $HOSTNAME at Line $LINE_NUMBER"

echo "$MESSAGE"| mailx -s "$SUBJECT" "$EMAIL_ADDRESS"
 exit 1
fi
}
#------------------------------------------#End functions
#-----------BEGIN SCRIPT-------------------
#SCRIPT
#
cd ~
#-------Check to see that the $ORACLE_HOME is correctly set
if [ -s $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus ]; then
  echo "Found sqlplus in ORACLE_HOME, so ORACLE_HOME variable is probably correctly set."
 check_err $? $LINENO " "
else
  echo "Could not locate SQLPLUS in ORACLE_HOME."
  echo "Please be sure this variable is correctly set in your .bash_profile, or at the beginning of this script."
  echo "Exiting script."
 check_err 1 $LINENO " "
fi
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

if [ -s `pwd`/$BACKUP_LOG_DIR_NAME ]; then 
 echo "Backup log directory already exists- no need to create one. Please be sure to output the results of each script run to this directory."
 check_err $? $LINENO " "
else
 check_err 1 $LINENO "No directory exists at "$BACKUP_BASE_DIR"/"$BACKUP_LOG_DIR_NAME" to store logs for each backup run. Exiting script."
fi
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

for EACH_SID in $THE_SIDS
do

check_err $? $LINENO " "

export ORACLE_SID=$EACH_SID
 echo "Gathering information for the backup of "$ORACLE_SID
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

#------- Gather the database name to use with RAC and Data Guard. In these configurations, the script will be run on all servers participating in the configuration, but at offset intervals- i.e. node 1 will run at 1am, and node 2 will run at 2am.
#------- Then, we will use the BACKUP NOT BACKED UP SINCE TIME syntax to detect any incomplete backups. If the backup was successfully completed on the first node, then RMAN will skip the backup, but do all of the rest of the good stuff in this script.
DB_NAME=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus "/ as sysdba" <<EOF | grep '^DD ' | awk '{print $2}'
set serveroutput on
whenever sqlerror exit 1
set linesize 100
declare
        l_database_name long;
begin
        select value as DATABASE_NAME INTO l_database_name from v\\$parameter where name= 'db_name';
        dbms_output.put_line( 'x' );
        dbms_output.put_line( 'DD ' || l_database_name );
end;
/
exit
EOF`
 check_err $? $LINENO " "
echo "Current Database Name is: "$DB_NAME

#------- Gather the database version to determine what features we can use.
DB_VERSION=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus "/ as sysdba" <<EOF | grep '^DD ' | awk '{print $2}'
set serveroutput on
whenever sqlerror exit 1
set linesize 100
declare
        l_version long;
begin
        select substr(version, 1, (instr(version, '.',1,1)-1)) as VERSION INTO l_version from v\\$instance;
        dbms_output.put_line( 'DD ' || l_version );
end;
/
exit
EOF`
 check_err $? $LINENO " "
echo "Current Database Version is: "$DB_VERSION

#------- If this is a 9i database, verify that there is a place to put the backups.
  if [ "$DB_VERSION" -lt "10" ]; then
    BACKUP_DESTINATION_9i=`echo "${BACKUP_DESTINATION_9i}" | sed -e "s/\/*$//" ` #Remove the trailing slash from the filepath if you accidentally specified one.
         check_err $? $LINENO " "
      if [ "" = "$BACKUP_DESTINATION_9i" ]; then
        echo "No directory to put 9i backup files in was specified. This must be set in the variable BACKUP_DESTINATION_9i at the head of this script..."
         check_err 1 $LINENO " "
      fi
      if [ -s "$BACKUP_DESTINATION_9i"/"$ORACLE_SID" ]; then
        echo "Found directory to put 9i backup files in..."
      else
        echo "The directory to put the 9i backup files in does not exist, or is specified incorrectly."
        echo "Please verify that the variable BACKUP_DESTINATION_9i is correctly set within this script."
        echo "Please also verify that under the BACKUP_DESTINATION_9i directory is a folder named the same as each ORACLE_SID."
         check_err 1 $LINENO " "
      fi
 check_err $? $LINENO " " 
  fi
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

#------- Enable block change tracking if possible
export SQL1="" #Set these to nothing since we've enabled the set -u option.
export SQL2=""

echo ""
  echo "Block change tracking can not be enabled for this database since the version is lower than 10G."
 check_err $? $LINENO " "
else
  echo "Database version is appropriate for block change tracking." 
  echo "Attempting to determine if RMAN block change tracking is already enabled..."
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

BLOCK_TRACKING_ENABLED=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus "/ as sysdba" <<EOF | grep '^DD ' | awk '{print $2}' #Since this must be a 10.x or greater database, then see if block change tracking is already enabled or not- and if not, enable it.
 set serveroutput on
 whenever sqlerror exit 1
 set linesize 100
 declare
        l_status long;
 begin
        select status INTO l_status from v\\$block_change_tracking;
        dbms_output.put_line( 'DD ' || l_status );
 end;
 /
 exit
EOF`
 check_err $? $LINENO " "
  echo "The current status of block change tracking is: "$BLOCK_TRACKING_ENABLED
 check_err $? $LINENO " "
  echo "Attempting to determine the name and location of the RMAN block change tracking file..."
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

BLOCK_TRACKING_FILE=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus "/ as sysdba" <<EOF | grep '^DD ' | awk '{print $2}' #Put the block tracking file in the same place as the SYSTEM tablespace.
 set serveroutput on
 whenever sqlerror exit 1
 set linesize 100
 declare
        l_filename long;
 begin
        select max(file_name) as FILE_NAME INTO l_filename from dba_data_files where tablespace_name = 'SYSTEM';
        dbms_output.put_line( 'DD ' || l_filename );
 end;
 /
 exit
EOF`
 check_err $? $LINENO " "
 BLOCK_TRACKING_FILE=`dirname $BLOCK_TRACKING_FILE`/BLOCK_CHANGE_TRACKFILE.DBF
 check_err $? $LINENO " "
 echo "The RMAN block change tracking file is: "$BLOCK_TRACKING_FILE
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

check_err $? $LINENO " "

if [ "$USE_BLOCK_CHANGE_TRACKING"="Y" ]; then
   if [ "DISABLED" = $BLOCK_TRACKING_ENABLED ]; then
     SQL2="ALTER DATABASE ENABLE BLOCK CHANGE TRACKING USING FILE '$BLOCK_TRACKING_FILE';" 
    check_err $? $LINENO " "
   else
     SQL2="SELECT 'BLOCK CHANGE TRACKING NOT APPLICABLE OR ALREADY ENABLED OR EXPLICITLY DISABLED BY THIS SCRIPT' AS BLOCK_CHANGE_TRACKING_STATUS FROM DUAL;"
    check_err $? $LINENO " "
   fi
  fi
 check_err $? $LINENO " "
fi
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

#------- Enable block check summing if possible.
#In order to detect and repair corruption, we will ensure block checksum is enabled:
if [ USE_RMAN_BLOCK_CHECKSUM="Y" ]; then
echo "Block checksumming helps detect and repair corruption."
echo "The script variable USE_RMAN_BLOCK_CHECKSUM=Y, so we will ensure RMAN block checksumming is enabled."

#------- In order to correctly format the SQL for block change tracking and summing, we'll need to know if we are using an SPFILE or not.
USE_SP_FILE=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus "/ as sysdba" <<EOF | grep '^DD ' | awk '{print $2}'
set serveroutput on
whenever sqlerror exit 1
set linesize 100
declare
        l_spfile long;
begin
        select value as SPFILE INTO l_spfile from v\\$parameter where name = 'spfile';
        dbms_output.put_line( 'DD ' || l_spfile );
end;
/
exit
EOF`
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

if [ "" = "$USE_SP_FILE" ]; then #We can only use the SCOPE=BOTH syntax if an spfile is being used.
    echo "No SPFILE is being used for this database instance."
    SQL1='ALTER SYSTEM SET DB_BLOCK_CHECKSUM=TRUE;'
     check_err $? $LINENO " "
  else
    echo "SPFILE is being used. Spfile located at: "$USE_SP_FILE
    SQL1='ALTER SYSTEM SET DB_BLOCK_CHECKSUM=TRUE SCOPE=BOTH;'
      check_err $? $LINENO " "
  fi
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

else
SQL1="SELECT 'RMAN BLOCK CHECK SUMMING EXPLICITLY DISABLED BY THIS SCRIPT OR NOT APPLICABLE' AS BLOCK_CHECK_SUMMING_STATUS FROM DUAL;"
 check_err $? $LINENO " "
fi
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

#-------Now run the following block check and block sum commands from sqlplus:
echo ""
echo "About to run the following SQL statements:"
echo $SQL1
echo $SQL2
  check_err $? $LINENO " "
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus "/ as sysdba" <<EOF
set serveroutput on
whenever sqlerror exit 1
set linesize 100
$SQL1
$SQL2
EOF

check_err $? $LINENO " "

#------- End block change tracking and block summing section.

#------- Setup backup commands, based on the database version. Note the \n which will output each command to a new line in the temp file.
  BACKUP_CONFIGURE_COMMANDS_BASE=(
     "
     run { \n
     CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; \n #We will keep one copy of all our backupset and redo files required to recover the database to the current time. Two copies may be better, in case one is corrupt but we have to weigh this against the amount of disk space we can consume. We will not use a recovery window based policy. \n
     CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION ON; \n #Set this to ON in order to skip backing up of files that have already been backed up, but haven't changed since the last backup. \n
     CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; \n #By default, we will write our backups to DISK, or really- to the FRA if possible.  \n
     CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON; \n #Set to ON to make RMAN to automatically back up the control file, and also enable RMAN to restore the control file autobackup without access to an RMAN repository \n
     CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE SBT_TAPE TO '"$DB_NAME"_controlfile_%F'; \n # \n
     CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '"$DB_NAME"_controlfile_%F'; \n # \n
     CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE SBT_TAPE TO 1; \n # default \n
     CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; \n # default \n
     CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE SBT_TAPE TO 1; \n # default \n
     CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; \n # default \n
     CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' PARMS 'SBT_LIBRARY=mylibrary.disksbt,ENV=(BACKUP_PARAM=value)'; \n # \n
     CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; \n # default \n
     CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO '$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/snapshot_controlfile_$DB_NAME.scf'; \n #Our custom value for the name of the snapshot controlfile \n
     } \n
     "
     )

check_err $? $LINENO " "

BACKUP_CONFIGURE_COMMANDS_9i=(
     "
     CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 3; \n
     CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '$BACKUP_DESTINATION_9i/$ORACLE_SID/%d_DB_%u_%s_%p'; \n #This is used in 9.2 databases to tell RMAN where to back up the database, whereas in 10G it backs up to the FRA, which is specified as the initialization parameter db_recovery_file_dest. \n
     "
     )

check_err $? $LINENO " "

BACKUP_CONFIGURE_COMMANDS_10G=(
     "
     run { \n
     CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; \n # default \n
     CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; \n # default \n
     CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; \n # Set to NONE because we are not using Data Guard \n
     CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' PARALLELISM 3 BACKUP TYPE TO COMPRESSED BACKUPSET; \n #We are setting this to COMPRESSED BACKUPSET for SBT_TAPE because BACKUPSET is the only option (vs. image copy) for SBT_TAPE. \n
     CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 3 BACKUP TYPE TO COPY; \n #We are setting this to COPY (meaning image copy- that is, an exact copy of the data file) instead of COMPRESSED BACKUPSET in order to use the Incrementally Updated Backup Method. \n
     } \n 
     "
     )

check_err $? $LINENO " "

BACKUP_RUN_COMMANDS_BASE=(
   "
   ALLOCATE CHANNEL FOR MAINTENANCE DEVICE TYPE DISK; \n 
   run { \n 
   ALLOCATE CHANNEL BASE_CHAN_1 DEVICE TYPE DISK; \n 
   CROSSCHECK ARCHIVELOG ALL; \n 
   CROSSCHECK BACKUPSET; \n 
   CROSSCHECK BACKUP; \n
   CROSSCHECK COPY; \n
   DELETE NOPROMPT EXPIRED BACKUPSET; \n  
   DELETE NOPROMPT EXPIRED BACKUP; \n 
   DELETE NOPROMPT EXPIRED COPY; \n  
   DELETE NOPROMPT OBSOLETE; \n 
   } \n 
   "
   )

check_err $? $LINENO " "

BACKUP_RUN_COMMANDS_9i=(
     "
     BACKUP TAG "$DB_NAME"_main_backup DATABASE; \n 
     "
     )

check_err $? $LINENO " "

BACKUP_RUN_COMMANDS_10G=(
     "
     run { \n 
     ALLOCATE CHANNEL BACKUP_CHAN_1 DEVICE TYPE DISK; \n 
     ALLOCATE CHANNEL BACKUP_CHAN_2 DEVICE TYPE DISK; \n 
     ALLOCATE CHANNEL BACKUP_CHAN_3 DEVICE TYPE DISK; \n 
     RECOVER COPY OF DATABASE WITH TAG "$DB_NAME"_main_backup; \n 
     BACKUP NOT BACKED UP SINCE TIME 'SYSDATE-1' INCREMENTAL LEVEL 1 FOR RECOVER OF COPY WITH TAG "$DB_NAME"_main_backup DATABASE; \n #This is the line that does the magic- if its Data Guard or RAC, and RMAN discovers that the backup has already run, then it skips it. Otherwise, it automatically picks up where the other instance(s) failed and runs a backup for that database. Also, for single instance databases, it runs the backup only for that instance. \n
     CATALOG RECOVERY AREA; \n 
     } \n 
     "
     )

check_err $? $LINENO " "

BACKUP_COMMAND=(
   "
    ${BACKUP_CONFIGURE_COMMANDS_BASE[@]}
    ${BACKUP_CONFIGURE_COMMANDS_9i[@]}
    ${BACKUP_RUN_COMMANDS_BASE[@]}
    ${BACKUP_RUN_COMMANDS_9i[@]}
   "
    )

check_err $? $LINENO " "

else 

BACKUP_COMMAND=(
   "
    ${BACKUP_CONFIGURE_COMMANDS_BASE[@]}
    ${BACKUP_CONFIGURE_COMMANDS_10G[@]}
    ${BACKUP_RUN_COMMANDS_10G[@]}
   "
    )

check_err $? $LINENO " "

fi

COMMANDS=""
TEMPFILE=""
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

TEMPFILE=`pwd`/tempout.txt
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

echo -e ${BACKUP_COMMAND[@]} > "$TEMPFILE"
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

#---
  n_1=`wc -l < "$TEMPFILE"`
  i_1=1

check_err $? $LINENO " "

while [ "$i_1" -le "$n_1" ]
  do
  line_1=`cat "$TEMPFILE" | head -$i_1 | tail -1`
  COMMANDS="$COMMANDS
    $line_1"
 i_1=`expr $i_1 + 1`
 done 

check_err $? $LINENO " "
#-------Now we can actually begin the backup.
echo ""
echo "Beginning backup for "$ORACLE_SID"..."
echo "BACKUP COMMANDS ARE: $COMMANDS"
echo ""
echo "End of backup command list..."

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/rman target / nocatalog << EOF 
@$TEMPFILE 
exit; 
EOF

check_err $? $LINENO " "
rm -rf $TEMPFILE
 check_err $? $LINENO " "

echo "End of backup..."
echo ""

#------- Now roll the logs and clean up- this should be done for backup logs, listener logs, and stuff in the adump/bdump/cdump/udump and trace directories.
 DUMP_DESTINATIONS=`echo "${DUMP_DESTINATIONS[@]}" | sed -e "s/(//" ` #Remove the leading parenthesis from the destination if it accidentally came with one.
 DUMP_DESTINATIONS=`echo "${DUMP_DESTINATIONS[@]}" | sed -e "s/)//" ` #Remove the trailing parenthesis from the destination if it accidentally came with one.
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

for THE_DESTINATIONS in ${DUMP_DESTINATIONS[@]}
do

MY_DEST=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus "/ as sysdba" <<EOF | grep '^DD ' | awk '{print $2}'
set serveroutput on
whenever sqlerror exit 1
set linesize 100
declare
        l_status number;
        l_dummy binary_integer;
        l_dump_dest long;
begin
        l_status := dbms_utility.get_parameter_value('$THE_DESTINATIONS', l_dummy, l_dump_dest);
        dbms_output.put_line( 'DD ' || l_dump_dest );
end;
/
exit
EOF`
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

if [ "" = "$MY_DEST" ]; then
    echo "The destination "$THE_DESTINATIONS" has no value."
    echo "Please be sure the variable DUMP_DESTINATIONS is specified correctly, and that the filepaths for these destinations are correctly set in Oracle."
     check_err 1 $LINENO " "
  elif [ `echo $MY_DEST |grep ?` ]; then
     echo "Question mark found in filepath: "$MY_DEST" Substituting ORACLE_HOME for question mark..."
      MY_DEST=`echo "${ORACLE_HOME}${MY_DEST}" | sed -e "s/?//"`
     echo "New filepath is: "$MY_DEST
      check_err $? $LINENO " "
  else
     echo "Passed filepath tests for destination: "$THE_DESTINATIONS" located at: "$MY_DEST"."
  fi
   check_err $? $LINENO " "

if [ "background_dump_dest" = $THE_DESTINATIONS ]; then
   mv $MY_DEST/alert_$ORACLE_SID.log $MY_DEST/alert_"$ORACLE_SID"_"$FILE_DATE".log
   $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus "/ as sysdba" <<EOF
   set serveroutput on
   whenever sqlerror exit 1
   set linesize 100
   execute sys.dbms_system.ksdwrt(2,'------------CREATED NEW ALERT LOG FILE ON: '||SYSDATE||'------------'); 
EOF
fi
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

if [ `find $MY_DEST/* -mtime +$DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS -print 2>/dev/null | wc -l` -gt 0 ]; then
 echo "Removing trace, alert, and dump files older than "$DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS" days from "$THE_DESTINATIONS" located at: "$MY_DEST"."
 find $MY_DEST/* -mtime +$DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS -print 2>/dev/null -exec rm -rf {} \;
  check_err $? $LINENO " "
 else
  echo "No trace, alert, and dump files older than "$DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS" days were found to delete from "$THE_DESTINATIONS" located at: "$MY_DEST"."
  check_err $? $LINENO " "
fi
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

done #End of THE_DESTINATIONS
done #End of EACH_SID

for EACH_LISTENER in $THE_LISTENERS
do

LISTENER=$EACH_LISTENER
 echo "Freeing disk space by removing listener logs and log information older than "$DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS" days for listener named "$LISTENER
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

if [ $DB_VERSION -lt "11" ]; then

LISTENER_LOG_DIR=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl << EOF
 set current_listener $LISTENER 
 show log_directory
 exit
EOF` #It comes with a trailing slash: /
 LISTENER_LOG_DIR=`echo $LISTENER_LOG_DIR|awk -F'set to' '{print $2}'|awk '{print $1}'`
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

LISTENER_LOG_F=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl << EOF
 show log_file
 exit
EOF`
 LISTENER_LOG_F=`echo $LISTENER_LOG_F|awk -F'set to' '{print $2}'|awk '{print $1}'` 
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

LISTENER_LOG_FILE="$LISTENER_LOG_DIR""$LISTENER_LOG_F"
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

else

LISTENER_LOG_DIR=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl << EOF
 show log_directory
 exit
EOF` #It comes with a trailing slash: /
 LISTENER_LOG_DIR=`echo $LISTENER_LOG_DIR|awk -F'set to' '{print $2}'|awk '{print $1}'`
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

LISTENER_LOG_DIR="$LISTENER_LOG_DIR"/  #It comes without a trailing slash: / (so we have to add one)

LISTENER_LOG_FILE=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl << EOF
 show log_file
 exit
EOF`
 LISTENER_LOG_FILE=`echo $LISTENER_LOG_FILE|awk -F'set to' '{print $2}'|awk '{print $1}'`
  check_err $? $LINENO " "
fi
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

echo "LISTENER_LOG_DIR is: "$LISTENER_LOG_DIR
  echo "LISTENER_LOG_FILE is: "$LISTENER_LOG_FILE

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl << EOF
set log_status on
set log_status off
exit
EOF

check_err $? $LINENO " "

echo "Moving logs for listener named: "$LISTENER
  mv "$LISTENER_LOG_FILE" "$LISTENER_LOG_FILE"_"$FILE_DATE".log #The issue here is that in version 11, oracle moved the default location of the listener log. So, you have to run: lsnrctl show log_directory + lsnrctl show log_file for < 11g and lsnrctl show log_file for > 11g. ...The output of which must be parsed.
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl << EOF
set log_status on
exit
EOF

check_err $? $LINENO " "

if [ `find $LISTENER_LOG_DIR* -mtime +$DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS -print 2>/dev/null | wc -l` -gt 0 ]; then
     echo "Removing listener logs older than "$DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS" days."
     find $LISTENER_LOG_DIR* -mtime +$DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS -print 2>/dev/null -exec rm -rf {} \;
    check_err $? $LINENO " "
   else
     echo "No listener logs older than "$DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS" days were found to delete."
    check_err $? $LINENO " "
   fi
  check_err $? $LINENO " "
done #END of EACH_LISTENER
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

if [ -s find "$BACKUP_BASE_DIR"/"$BACKUP_LOG_DIR_NAME"/* -mtime +$DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS -print 2>/dev/null ]; then
 echo "Removing backup run logs older than "$DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS" days."
 find "$BACKUP_BASE_DIR"/"$BACKUP_LOG_DIR_NAME"/* -mtime +$DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS -print 2>/dev/null -exec rm -rf {} \;
  check_err $? $LINENO " "
 else 
 echo "No backup run logs older than "$DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS" days were found to delete."
  check_err $? $LINENO " "
fi
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

#---------------------------------Clean out Oracle's Mail spool.
export TOTAL_LINES=`expr \`wc -l $MAIL_FILE|awk '{print $1}'\` + 1`
  check_err $? $LINENO " "
export LINE_NUMBER=`grep -n "\`date +"%a %b %e" -d $DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS-days-ago\`" $MAIL_FILE|awk '{print $1}'|awk -F: '{print $1}'|head -1`
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

if [ -z "$LINE_NUMBER" ]; then
 export LINE_NUMBER=0
  check_err $? $LINENO " "
fi

tail -`expr $TOTAL_LINES - $LINE_NUMBER` $MAIL_FILE > $TEMP_DIR
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

if [ `wc -l $TEMP_DIR|awk '{print $1}'` -gt 0 ]; then
 cat $TEMP_DIR > $MAIL_FILE
  check_err $? $LINENO " "
fi
  check_err $? $LINENO " "

rm $TEMP_DIR
  check_err $? $LINENO " "
#---------------------------------

#END OF SCRIPT
#------------------------------------------------------------------------
#References used to build this lovely script:
#RMAN BEST PRACTICES: http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/S942_Chien.doc.pdf
#Oracle 10G Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/itss/docs/oracle/10g/server.101/b10734/rcmarchi.htm#1006446
#DatabaseJournal.com: http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/3439441/Oracle-10g-Availability-Enhancements-Part-1-Backup-and-Recovery-Improvements.htm
#http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/07-jan/o17recovery.html
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# BUT- EVEN BETTER:
# Supposing your 10G or higher database crashes, ALL YOU NEED TO DO TO RECOVER IS: 
#   In order to save time for the restore, you can switch the database to copy command with:
# RMAN> switch database to copy; #This must be done while the database is mounted, but not open.
#   All datafile pointers will then be pointed to RMAN's image backup copies of the datafiles in the FRA, and Oracle will use the RMAN copy as THE datafile until the broken one can be restored. Cool, hunh?
# RMAN> restore database; #This command may fail, but whether or not that's important (and you can skip it) depends on why it failed.
# RMAN> recover database; #This must be done to bring the datafile up to current using the archived redo logs.
# RMAN> alter database open;
# Now the database is pointed to the data files in the FRA. You probably don't want to do this for long, so assuming the file becomes available, you'd want to reverse the 
# process by restoring the file to its original location, and then switching back to *that* copy, like this:
#
# SQL> select file#, name, status from v$datafile where file# = <your_file_number>;
# 
# NAME
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# /u01/app/oracle/recovery_area/TEST/Backups/TEST/datafile/o1_mf_users_5hvsjm59_.dbf <-- Note how its now pointing to the datafile copy in the FRA?
#
# SQL> alter database datafile <your_file_number> offline; <-- alternately, depending on the number of files, or which files you have to do this for (as the SYSTEM file can't be offlined directly), this could be performed by shutting the database down, and then bringing it up in the mount state. 
# RMAN> backup as copy datafile <your_file_number> format '/u01/app/oracle/oradata/test/users01.dbf'; <-- Where the format string is the filepath or ASM diskgroup that the file was originally stored before we lost it.
# RMAN> switch datafile <your_file_number> to copy; <-- True, its already looking at a copy (the one in the FRA), but you've just made another copy, and want to point to that one.
# RMAN> recover datafile <your_file_number>;
# SQL> alter database datafile <your_file_number> online;
# After doing this, you MUST then run a backup in order to replace the now outdated image copies in the FRA.
# HA! **SUPER** easy!

#Now, assuming you also want to get the contents of the FRA off-site using tape, then you'd just need to go into RMAN, and:
#   run {
#     allocate channel c1 type sbt_tape;
#      backup recovery area;
#    }

[Updated on: Wed, 17 February 2010 16:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: UNIVERSAL RMAN hot backup script to disk- no recovery catalog [message #443895 is a reply to message #443875] Wed, 17 February 2010 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Thanks for the script.

Quote:
It automatically implements Oracle best practices, and will work with versions from 9i to 11G,

I didn't analyze the whole script but I doubt that compression and encryption options work in 9i.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Thu, 18 February 2010 00:23]

Re: UNIVERSAL RMAN hot backup script to disk- no recovery catalog [message #444255 is a reply to message #443895] Fri, 19 February 2010 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stevekerver
Correct- compression, encryption, block change tracking, and so on don't apply to 9i databases.
The script will detect what version of the database you are using, and apply best practices, based on the version.
Re: RMAN hot backup script to disk [message #496289 is a reply to message #143458] Fri, 25 February 2011 19:08 Go to previous message
stevekerver
...So, some time has passed now, and it looks like my script has been downloaded almost 600 times!

Yay! Nice!

But I am still curious to know if anyone has had any issues with it? ...Does it work for you as expected??

I'd definitely love to hear some feedback.

Also- I don't have the time to fix it now, but one flaw that occurred to me is that the script is pretty much limited to "one-server-one-database" installs, of which the solution is to modify it to make use of ". oraenv" in NO ASK mode (see here: http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_pc_rac_oraenv.htm).
This way, you could do disk backups using multiple ORACLE_HOMES of different versions on the same server.
...The only caveat I could see with doing it this way (vs. getting the information from the bash profile) is just having to be sure you have correct oratab entries 100% of the time.

Big kudos to anybody who might want to take this task on, and then repost the final product here!
...After all- that's how UNIX got built- it's open source, and was just a bunch of folks building on top of what the last person did, then posting it for everbody to use.

Even bigger kudos to anybody who would like to modify the script as above, plus toggle between backup to disk or backup to SBT_TAPE! Or better- to do all the above, plus toggle back and forth between using a recovery catalog or not.
...Then, you'd pretty much NEVER need another backup script- que no?

[Updated on: Fri, 25 February 2011 19:15]

Previous Topic: undo datafile lost.
Next Topic: TO Make A Copy Of Oracle DB in Local PC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:13:56 CDT 2024