Home » Other » Marketplace » Help  () 1 Vote
Help [message #136376] Wed, 07 September 2005 16:00 Go to next message
princks
Hi,
>
> I just got into the Oracle database world and just completed my OCP
track.
> how can I get a job in the UK with lack of experience. Please i need help.
>
> Best regards.
Babs.
Re: Help [message #137374 is a reply to message #136376] Wed, 14 September 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
From your personal information, you 'say' that you are already in the UK so I expect that you are either a national of the UK or have a work permit. As you can see I am in Australia - so my response is for Australia, but should work in any work-permit enabled country.

If you have OCP and no experience then you may wish to do what I did when I started in Oracle. 'Buy yourself a position by working for a pitiful salary or low hourly rate.' If you have the financial resources - read 'live frugally for 12 months'.

Work on your CV. It HAS to be ready to email as soon as you have interest.

Get a mobile/cell phone ... only give the agencies and possible employers this number ... use your fixed phone for outgoing calls and the 'portable' for incoming calls.

Produce a list of all the Oracle shops that are hiring or have a big project going - look in online and paper advertisements and recruiting sites. Use the online white pages or their advertisement and get their telephone number. Ring the switchboard and get the name and number of the IT manager. You can also ask for their Annual Report and their web site address.

Write a script of what you are going to say:
"Good morning/afternoon, my name is ... I have seen that you have been advertising for Oracle programmers/DBA/etc. Could you describe the range of roles you have available?" Be nice, speak clearly, LISTEN. When the opportunity comes tell the person, "I have recently finished my OCP (use full description, NEVER use acronyms on the telephone) and I am enquiring whether you had a position at that level." When they say "no". Reply that you "are extremely flexible in terms of salary and working hours, and would also be happy to take a 'slave' type position under contract." (You will have to translate these terms into ones applicable to your job market.) ... the rest you can build as you make your telephone calls.

Turn your PC monitor 'OFF'. Now, pick up the telephone, DON'T dial, and talk into the telephone. Do you sound casual, then SIT UP. Just because you are on the phone is no excuse for slouching. Put on a suit and tie, 'PRETEND' until it is 'TRUE'. This is a cold call and 90% will say 'NO'. But, by BEING 'businesslike', you will PROJECT 'businesslike'. PROJECT WHAT YOU WISH TO BE, NOT WHAT YOU ARE. (Which, at the moment, is an unemployed nothing.) The person you are ringing will hear it in your voice. Practice your delivery, ask yourself questions, answer them! DON'T ring the place you really want to work first, as this will probably be your worst attempt. make it your 4th or 5th call.

Be positive, be flexible - on rate and when you can start - 'tomorrow is good for me, this afternoon is also okay'. When they ask for your CV have it and the pro-forma email ready. Write the email address on your PAPER check-list, if you use a PC, looking at the screen will break your train of thought.

Questions NOT TO ASK: "What bus do I take?" - WORK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF or ring the switchboard LATER. Also, don't ask, "What is the superannuation plan?", "Is the cafeteria any good?"

Give this a go.

David

Upd: Aaahhh! I had 'employees' instead of 'employers'. Doh!

[Updated on: Tue, 07 March 2006 16:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Help [message #240669 is a reply to message #137374] Fri, 25 May 2007 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vjsys
Wonderful reply!!!! Thanks for helping upcoming engineers.
Best Regards,
Vijay
Re: Help [message #240814 is a reply to message #137374] Sat, 26 May 2007 00:20 Go to previous message
Mohammad Taj

Hi Martin,
Good Suggestion it is very helpful for newbies.

Regards
Taj
Previous Topic: Seeking an Oracle DBA in DC Area
Next Topic: Freelance Oracle DBA trainer 9i 10g needed in chennai
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:21:47 CDT 2024