Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Commit in a Trigger
Commit in a Trigger [message #1256] Mon, 15 April 2002 07:05 Go to next message
KK
Hi

I have a trigger on a table - T1, that will fire before delete. I then need to insert into another table - T2 when this trigger fires and run a report based on T2. Therefore I will need to commit these records inserted into the table - T2.

I get an error when I put the commit in the trigger. Any suggestions on how I can resolve this issue so I can commit the records would be helpful!

I am using Oracle 8.0.5.

Thank you!
Re: Commit in a Trigger [message #1258 is a reply to message #1256] Mon, 15 April 2002 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
hi.
You cannot commit/rollback inside a trigger.
use a prcedure to commit the records.
Re: Commit in a Trigger [message #1269 is a reply to message #1256] Tue, 16 April 2002 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sergio
You can't use commit in procedure, function or trigger directly. You have to use package dbms_sql instead or do commit command in the session which fired the trigger.
Re: Commit in a Trigger [message #1271 is a reply to message #1258] Tue, 16 April 2002 04:39 Go to previous message
Amit
Hi

The commit can be used only when the trigger is fired and the control comes back to the original proc/function. If u r calling a function/proc from a trigger then u can not have a commit there as that wud be the current transaction session inside the main transaction.
--solutions proposed

1)Apply commit just after the DML's (insert/update/delete) in the function.

2)In oracle 8i onwards, u can make a commit statement from the trigger by calling an AUTONOMOUS Transaction proc/functions and there u can have commit.
eg the syntax wud be like this

create or replace PROC/FUN asd
PRAGMA AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION
IS/AS
-----------
and call this function from the trigger.

Any clarifications r welcomed...

Amit
Previous Topic: Urgent !! PLease HElp
Next Topic: ISNUMERIC - CODE FOR THOSE WHO NEED IT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:58:18 CDT 2024