Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Exception ora-06508: attached libraries : please help
Exception ora-06508: attached libraries : please help [message #126657] Wed, 06 July 2005 02:36 Go to next message
hocnguyen
Dear all,
i'm new to Oracle Form.
i've created a PL/SQL library named common_lib which has only one procedure hello like this
---------------------------
PACKAGE BODY common_lib IS
procedure hello is
begin
message('hello');
end hello;
END;
---------------------------
i've attached this lib to a form and call this hello procedure in a push button when-button-pressed trigger. Compilation is ok, but when the form runs, it throws an exception: ORA-06508.

i've googled this and found:
---------------------------------------
http://ora-06508.ora-code.com/
ORA-06508: PL/SQL: could not find program unit being called
Cause: An attempt was made to call a stored program that could not be found. The program may have been dropped or incompatibly modified, or have compiled with errors.
Action: Check that all referenced programs, including their package bodies, exist and are compatible.
------------------------------------------

but i can not find where the mistake is.

i know that this is just a stupid error, please kindly help me.

my email: thanh.hoc@gmail.com

thanks!
Hoc Nguyen
Re: Exception ora-06508: attached libraries : please help [message #126658 is a reply to message #126657] Wed, 06 July 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Is your pll in the same directory as your form? Is this directory in your FORMS90_PATH?

David
Re: Exception ora-06508: attached libraries : please help [message #126662 is a reply to message #126658] Wed, 06 July 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hocnguyen
thanks David for your quick response !

> Is your pll in the same directory as your form?

No, forms and libraries are in separate directories.

> Is this directory in your FORMS90_PATH?

Yes, i use forms 6i, and these directories are included in the forms60_path environment variable.

I don't see the .plx file of the lib, only the .pll file ...

thanks !
Hoc Nguyen
Re: Exception ora-06508: attached libraries : please help [message #126666 is a reply to message #126662] Wed, 06 July 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Does the name of your directory have a space in it? Have you got the library directory before the form directory? Are any of the direcotires in your forms60_path empty? When you attached the library, did you take the default option of using the full directory name of the library or did you press 'No'?

David
Re: Exception ora-06508: attached libraries : please help [message #126673 is a reply to message #126666] Wed, 06 July 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hocnguyen
> Does the name of your directory have a space in it?

No. I know that Oracle has problem with directory containing blank.

> Have you got the library directory before the form directory ?

i've created the lib dir after the form dir.
in the forms60_path:
------------------------
FORMS60_PATH=D:\oracle80\FORMS60;D:\oracle80\TOOLS\OPEN60\PLSQLLIB;D:\testproject\lib;D:\testproject\form;
------------------------

> Are any of the direcotires in your forms60_path empty?
absolutely NO

> When you attached the library, did you take the default option of using the full directory name of the library or did you press 'No'?

for the portable reason, i choose 'Yes'

There is sure a stupid mistake !....

Thanks for your patience and kindness !
Hoc Nguyen
Re: Exception ora-06508: attached libraries : please help [message #126828 is a reply to message #126673] Wed, 06 July 2005 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
> FORMS60_PATH=D:\oracle80\FORMS60;D:\oracle80\TOOLS\OPEN60\PLSQLLIB;D:\testproject\lib;D:\testproject\form;

I would suggest putting your directories at the beginning of the line. This is opposite to the order you would use for Java paths where your files HAVE to come AFTER the supplied files. And I don't think you need the trailing semi-colon.

David
Re: Exception ora-06508: attached libraries : please help [message #126836 is a reply to message #126828] Wed, 06 July 2005 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hocnguyen
Thanks David. I've re-ordered the directories as you suggested, and then it works ! That's really great ! Laughing I'm curious that why you can know the directory order rule ? your own working experience ? thanks a million !

Regards,
Hoc Nguyen
Re: Exception ora-06508: attached libraries : please help [message #126847 is a reply to message #126836] Wed, 06 July 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Did you re-use the name of an existing Oracle pll? That is a no-no!

Yes ... my own working experience and many people asking me roughly this same question for many years.

David
Re: Exception ora-06508: attached libraries : please help [message #642450 is a reply to message #126847] Fri, 11 September 2015 02:09 Go to previous message
Atreide
Hello.

Good it did work for you. And a realy good set of things to try. It didnĀ“t work for me though.

What I did was unattaching the library and then compile it and reatach it to the form. Compile (Generate) the form and everything came back to work. I would say it will from now over be my first thing to try. The good news is that the library is actually attached to many other forms, giving all this ORA-06508 error and unattaching/compiling/reattaching/recompiling for one form, made them all work again.

PD. What gave me the clue was that the form would run allright in debug mode and it wouldn't work at all in regular run mode (Green light button) wich didn't make any sense to me (Recognizing libraries in debug mode and not find them at all in regular run mode)
Previous Topic: Hide 1 option from task bar
Next Topic: Error 40501
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:04:46 CDT 2024