Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Oracle Client connection problem
Oracle Client connection problem [message #124566] Mon, 20 June 2005 04:31 Go to next message
nelnel
I am doing a school project. Try to make a database application program in linux to connect remote oracle database server(LAN).

Actually, i am the newbie of the oracle database. I have downloaded the oracle 9i release 2 from Oracle.com. And i have installed the Oracle 9i client to the linux( including the client program and the Oracle Enterprise Manager). But how could i connect the remote server??

Where can i specify the IP, Server Name and User/PWD of the Oracle Database Server in the Oracle 9i Client Config.? I try to ue SQLPLUS to connect, but i can't find the place to input such info.

Also, i have installed Oracle Enterprise Manager, is it the GUI interface in Xwindow? How could i startup of it?

I have read the Oracle Admintration Guide and Installation Guide, but still don't have idea of the above questions...

Thx for ur help!!

Re: Oracle Client connection problem [message #124605 is a reply to message #124566] Mon, 20 June 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Where can i specify the IP, Server Name and User/PWD of the Oracle Database Server in the Oracle 9i Client Config.?

for sqlnet connectivity use tnsnames.ora
for all thick drivers (odbc/oci/perl/pro*c) use tnsnames.ora
for JDBC thin driver, no tnsnames.ora is required.

tnsnames.ora is the client side configuration file that identifies the database server to talk to.

search this site or google for more info.

http://www.mike-devlin.com/oracle/tnsnames_ora.htm
and ofcourse, documentation
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/doc/oracle/oem140/A53700_01/ap_sqlnt.htm

Re: Oracle Client connection problem [message #124681 is a reply to message #124566] Mon, 20 June 2005 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nelnel
Thx for ur kindly help!!

i have created the tnsnames.ora and the sqlnet.ora under the dir /$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/ but still can't connect the server by SQLPLUS.

it shows the error :

ERROR:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory

my tnsnames.ora:

SPK =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dn2)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = sp01))
)

what is the problem of it??

Re: Oracle Client connection problem [message #124684 is a reply to message #124566] Mon, 20 June 2005 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nelnel
Also, does the tnsnames.ora file really need to be Generated by Oracle configuration tools? Can i created it by hand?

in fact, i can't set it by configuration tools during the installation process. I create it by hand only.....

thx for ur help~~
Re: Oracle Client connection problem [message #292873 is a reply to message #124681] Thu, 10 January 2008 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mehrabbas
dear you did not started oracle services.

Do start Oracle Network Services.

then you will be able to get connected.
take care and good luck.\

Mehr Ghulam Abbas
Re: Oracle Client connection problem [message #292883 is a reply to message #292873] Thu, 10 January 2008 02:05 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Oh, Nelnel has probably graduated from his school by now; topic was started in 2005.
Previous Topic: Remote desktop of windows machine.
Next Topic: Installing Oracle 10g on Linux Server 5 Failure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:11:17 CDT 2024