Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » pls help- How to get various network information from server side
pls help- How to get various network information from server side [message #119630] Fri, 13 May 2005 10:13 Go to next message
Nasser22
Hi
Im doing a final year thesis regarding application - application communication in Oracle. What i want to know is how to view or collect information from the server such as:
- the source IP address, or a reference to it (a registered application user or application server)
- destination IP address or a reference to it (ie - a registered application user or an application server)
- the Transport Layer protocol ( eg transmission Control Protocl, TCP, or User Datagram Protocol, UDP)
- type of application traffic being sent on that flow (eg- signalling or data)
- traffic characteristics
- minimum bandtwidth requirements

I would greatly appreciate if someone can post some links where i can find info regarding this. I hope some experts out there can direct me plz

Thankyou
Re: pls help- How to get various network information from server side [message #119710 is a reply to message #119630] Fri, 13 May 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Would some sort of OS utility be able to display these sorts of things? Like netstat or sar or ping or ipconfig?

Sorry, I'm not much of a network guy.

sys_context('userenv',) has various info, but I don't think it is really all that you are looking for.
Re: pls help- How to get various network information from server side [message #119751 is a reply to message #119630] Sat, 14 May 2005 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

This may or may not help:

Most installations use TCP as preferred protocol (UDP wouldn't work as it is connectionless). However, the TNS (Transparent Network Substrate) layer can support multiple protocols simultaneously (like TCP, Named Pipes, IPC, etc.).

Oracle uses server side listeners to accept client connections. The Protocol, IP and Port to listen on is specified in the server's LISTENER.ORA file.

Clients normally read the TNSNAMES.ORA file (or Oracle Names Server, LDAP server, or whatever) to obtain the Protocol, IP and Port to connect to on the server to establish a connection.

You can look at the SQL*Net statistics of a running instance by examining the V$SYSSTAT and V$SESSTAT views. Here is an example:

SQL> SELECT * FROM v$SYSSTAT WHERE name LIKE '%SQL*Net%';

STATISTIC# NAME                                               CLASS      VALUE
---------- --------------------------------------------- ---------- ----------
       304 bytes sent via SQL*Net to client                       1      27410
       305 bytes received via SQL*Net from client                 1       3991
       306 SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client                      1         46
       307 bytes sent via SQL*Net to dblink                       1          0
       308 bytes received via SQL*Net from dblink                 1          0
       309 SQL*Net roundtrips to/from dblink                      1          0

6 rows selected.

It may also help if you scan through the Net Services Administrator's and Reference Guides.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: pls help- How to get various network information from server side [message #119753 is a reply to message #119630] Sat, 14 May 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nasser22
You see the my main analysis is to classify various packets into order of priority. So hence if i can get info from the server, i can base my decisions on the network info i see....

Ive scanned through the various references guide you have mentioned.... in order to get various information I have to play around or edit parameters or command functions right?

Which .ora file would i be interested in for server side? LISTENER.ORA or TSNAMES.ora or perhaps all files?

And also How do i get to view this 'info', do i just access the .ora file or what? Eg- some command like SHOW PROFILE, OR STAT??

Thankyou for your time

Regards

Nasser
Re: pls help- How to get various network information from server side [message #119774 is a reply to message #119753] Sun, 15 May 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

The internal workings of SQL*Net is one of those well-kept Oracle secrets. Your best bet is to configure client-server connectivity and use the "snoop" command to inspect the interchange and contents of network packets.

> Which .ora file would i be interested in for server side? LISTENER.ORA or TSNAMES.ora or perhaps all files?

Possibly both - in case you want to establish a connection from the server to the database.

> And also How do i get to view this 'info', do i just access the .ora file or what? Eg- some command like SHOW PROFILE, OR STAT??

You can use any OS editor to view the *.ora config files. The SELECT-statements can be executed from sqlplus.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: pls help- How to get various network information from server side [message #119777 is a reply to message #119630] Sun, 15 May 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nasser22
can u plz elaborate on "snoop" what do i find out and how to implement it

thanks
Re: pls help- How to get various network information from server side [message #119778 is a reply to message #119777] Sun, 15 May 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

Snoop is a network sniffer utility commonly found on Unix/Linux type systems. It puts your system's network cards in promiscuous mode and captures all packets on the network for inspection.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: pls help- How to get various network information from server side [message #119807 is a reply to message #119630] Sun, 15 May 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nasser22
But how do I implement "snoop" and which file does info store in? And what sort of info does snoop collect? What parameters can I change if i can that is?

Thanks again, I appreciate ur help immensely

Regards

Nasser
Re: pls help- How to get various network information from server side [message #119809 is a reply to message #119630] Mon, 16 May 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nasser22
Im getting a bit confused here, Let me clear a few things up!

In order to get info do i just look at the .ora files?

Okay now ive read the net references and all i see is a bunch of parameters there.....

I dont really understand which files im interested in (see my first post) can u provide a basic sumamry of wat each file provides?

And you mentioned SQL*Net statistics? Where do i find this, which file?

Plz reply asap... thankyou
Re: pls help- How to get various network information from server side [message #119814 is a reply to message #119809] Mon, 16 May 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
I'm afraid you will have to do a bit of studying yourself:

The Internet is full of info about "snoop". Google and you will find it.

Also, you need to read both the Net Services Reference and the Administrators Guides. After that, play around with it and study the config files. I'm sure you will quickly figure it out yourself. Again, there is lots of info on the Net. Don't ask if you haven't tried to find it yourself.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: pls help- How to get various network information from server side [message #119838 is a reply to message #119630] Mon, 16 May 2005 05:17 Go to previous message
Nasser22
After reading net services I am still a bit confused on what all .ora files display.

I dont understand which one i am interested in for my basis???
Previous Topic: TNS file on network
Next Topic: Connecting to a remote computer w Oracle via internet, error Timeout
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 19:34:16 CDT 2024