Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » Cost based Optimizer built access paths
Cost based Optimizer built access paths [message #113959] Fri, 12 September 2003 10:01 Go to next message
Carol Cloyed
We have a 64Million row table with an idex that has 63 unique values for an index. The rows are spread fairly evenly across 30 partitions.

The issue we are trying to solve is how to make adjustments to cause the CBO to select an index access path when selection a single value in the index but continue to select a tablespace scan in all other circumstances.

FYI. An INDEX hint does give the desired results but we are searching for a system control that will automate the process.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

Thanks for any recommendation you may have.

Carol
Re: Cost based Optimizer built access paths [message #113960 is a reply to message #113959] Tue, 23 September 2003 08:07 Go to previous message
Subhash Roy
: We have a 64Million row table with an idex that has 63 unique values for an index. The rows are spread fairly evenly across 30 partitions.

: The issue we are trying to solve is how to make adjustments to cause the CBO to select an index access path when selection a single value in the index but continue to select a tablespace scan in all other circumstances.

: FYI. An INDEX hint does give the desired results but we are searching for a system control that will automate the process.

: Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

: Thanks for any recommendation you may have.

: Carol

: Is the index also partitioned? Did you include the partion key in addition to the index key in the WHERE cluase? I read some documents in the Metalink, but never played it in our enviroment as we are still on the 7.3.3 version. It sounds line you are running 8i or 9i. I think the documents in the Metalink may help you solve your case.
Previous Topic: RUNNING BATCH JCL IN THE MAINFRAME ACCESSING ORACLE IN UNIX WITH STORE PROCEDURES
Next Topic: *Abend* S502/U0000 in module T012VTPL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:36:15 CDT 2024