Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » query not usinf index on concatenated fields
query not usinf index on concatenated fields [message #10933] Tue, 24 February 2004 23:39 Go to next message
shad
Hi there

ŕ I have an index created on the concat(REF_NO,REF_NO_CHECK).

I run the following query which for some reason does not use the existing index. The query does a full tables scan on the employers table.

SELECT EMPLOYERS.TRADE_NAME 
FROM EMPLOYERS
WHERE EMPLOYERS.REF_NO || EMPLOYERS.REF_NO_CHECK  = :b1

Is there away for me try and force this query to use the index. By the way I have also already tried to force it using a hint but that did not work.

Regards

Shad
Re: query not usinf index on concatenated fields [message #10952 is a reply to message #10933] Wed, 25 February 2004 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satish Shrikhande
Try this

SELECT EMPLOYERS.TRADE_NAME,concat(EMPLOYERS.REF_NO,EMPLOYERS.REF_NO_CHECK)
FROM EMPLOYERS
WHERE concat(EMPLOYERS.REF_NO,EMPLOYERS.REF_NO_CHECK) = :b1
Re: query not usinf index on concatenated fields [message #10957 is a reply to message #10933] Wed, 25 February 2004 09:29 Go to previous message
Todd Barry
The index will only be used if your search expression matches the index. You have a composite index and a search expression that concatenates the two columns - very different.

If you need to use an index, you will need to build a function-based index on that expression:

create index employers_ndx on employers (ref_no || ref_no_check);

Please read the documentation for other settings required for function-based indexes:

FBI requirements
Previous Topic: Limiting rows returned
Next Topic: Inverting Table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:28:07 CDT 2024