Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Help to write SQL scripts please.
Help to write SQL scripts please. [message #10839] Thu, 19 February 2004 17:04 Go to next message
mmm101
Hi,

I have a good knowledge of Oracle SQL Plus and I want to start writing SQL scripts. But I couldn't find any tutorial for writing SQL scripts. I want to know the step by step instructions/commands  of how to write, execute/run the scripts. Please I need the info ASAP. Please help....
Re: Help to write SQL scripts please. [message #10840 is a reply to message #10839] Thu, 19 February 2004 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JIgar Bhavsar
To open an editor
ed c:a.sql

To run the script use
@c:a.sql
Re: Help to write SQL scripts please. [message #10858 is a reply to message #10840] Fri, 20 February 2004 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm101
Hi,
Thanks for the informations. I tried to open the editor by typing ed filename in the sqlplus worksheet, but nothing happened. Could you please tell me where should I give the command? But I could run the file from SQLplus worksheet by giving @ filename. Thanks.
Re: Help to write SQL scripts please. [message #10862 is a reply to message #10839] Fri, 20 February 2004 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William Robertson
Do you mean you have a good knowlege of SQL and you want to start writing SQL*Plus scripts?
Re: Help to write SQL scripts please. [message #10874 is a reply to message #10862] Sat, 21 February 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm101
Yes. It might sound funny to you. I have learnt Sql plus from the books and known almost all the statements and functions...But I don't have any realtime experience. That's why I didn't know the commands. Now I got them. Sorry if it bothered you....
Re: Help to write SQL scripts please. [message #10875 is a reply to message #10858] Sat, 21 February 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm101
Sorry for my earlier reply. I got the things now. Thanks for the help.
Re: Help to write SQL scripts please. [message #10876 is a reply to message #10874] Sat, 21 February 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William Robertson
mmm01,
I wasn't laughing at you, and I apologise if it sounded that way. I just wasn't sure what you meant. SQL is a language for expressing database queries; SQL*Plus is a text browser application, which can be used for scripting. Sometimes people know SQL but are not familiar with SQL*Plus. However it sounds like you are teaching yourself about SQL*Plus but need more information about writing and running scripts.
Re: Help to write SQL scripts please. [message #10877 is a reply to message #10876] Sat, 21 February 2004 09:21 Go to previous message
mmm101
Hi William,
Now only I realize that I confused SQL and SQL plus in my question. The one you've specified as "you are teaching yourself about SQL*Plus but need more information about writing and running scripts" is correct and I am comfortable with SQL and SQL plus which I learnt in my college a few years ago. So, I forgot quite a lot of commands in SQLPLUS and I needed some informations from any websites to brush up my mind and also about the SQL scripts. Thanks a lot for cosidering my question.
Previous Topic: Last Rows
Next Topic: change the datatype of a field without empty the existing one.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:45:13 CDT 2024