Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Tools
Tools [message #10791] Tue, 17 February 2004 12:09 Go to next message
Nigel Garwood
Hi

I have a security system that uses an Oracle 9i Backend.

I am a total newbie to Oracle and wondered was is the best tool to use to view my Oracle 9 Database's structure. Is there something like (sorry for saying this) SQLservers Enterprise Manger, that lets you see a graphical view of the tables etc.

Also I know I can see the first X rows by using the "WHERE numrow < X" how can I see the last X rows ?

Cheers in advance.

Nigel
Re: Tools [message #10793 is a reply to message #10791] Tue, 17 February 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
In addition to the Enterprise Manager supplied by Oracle, there are many commercial products that provide this capability. One of these, TOAD (Tool for Oracle Application Developers), is available as a reduced feature-set version at:

TOAD free version

Also, ROWNUM does not provide the "first" set of rows from a table - it merely limits the number of rows in the result set. It only gives you the Top-N number of rows when used in conjunction with an inline view that orders the result set as desired.

What is your definition of the "last X rows"?
Re: Tools [message #10799 is a reply to message #10793] Tue, 17 February 2004 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel Garwood
hi

What I am after is a sample of the data held in each columm. I would like to perhaps return the last 20 rows in the table at this time.

Nigel
Re: Tools [message #10811 is a reply to message #10799] Wed, 18 February 2004 08:36 Go to previous message
Todd Barry
Yes, I understand. All these tools, and even the bare-bones SQL*Plus that comes with Oracle, provide a query interface.
Previous Topic: Update qry
Next Topic: order by
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:13:54 CDT 2024