Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » HELP! sql server dba covering Oracle
HELP! sql server dba covering Oracle [message #10593] Mon, 02 February 2004 08:26 Go to next message
Adria
OK.  So I'm probably every Oracle DBA's biggest nightmare... a SQL Server DBA called in to cover for an Oracle DBA.

And, as luck would have it, we've had a disk error come up and I hardly even know where to start.

Can someone tell me how to:
(1) find a list of all datafiles that are on the same disk as the one bad datafile we've identified?
(2) take the selected files offline before shutting down the database (when file restores will begin)?

I'm in need of some very quick assistance, so I would appreciate any available help.

TIA,
Adria
a-carbo@tamu.edu
Re: HELP! sql server dba covering Oracle [message #10594 is a reply to message #10593] Mon, 02 February 2004 09:48 Go to previous message
Thiru
1) Oracle doesnt know about the underlying physical disk spindles.Its transparent to the database.

Select file_name from dba_data_files;

will give you the list of all datafiles in the database.

select file_name from dba_temp_files;

gives you the list of all temp files.

Once you know this,you can find out what filesystem and hence what disks they are located on(with the help from sysadmin).

What type of error are you getting ? Recovery scenario differs . Are you in ARCHIVELOG mode ? Do you have backups? What type of backups ?

-Thiru
Previous Topic: How to Update a DATE type item?
Next Topic: Retrieving data associated with row containing max
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:50:20 CDT 2024