Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » create multiple instances on database
create multiple instances on database [message #10535] Wed, 28 January 2004 22:02 Go to next message
ty
Pretending that there is one database for one university library already exist, and I want to create multiple instances for other universities either in oracle 8i or 9i. Is there a way to create that multiple instance? Please guide me some steps -- many thanks
Re: create multiple instances on database [message #10581 is a reply to message #10535] Sun, 01 February 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Your requirement is not clear. Normally one database is mounted by only one instance, unless you are talking about RAC where multiple instances can access a single database.

Each of the Universities could have their own database(mounted by its own instance) or each of the universities could have their own schema(collection of objects like tables) in a single common database.
Re: create multiple instances on database [message #10591 is a reply to message #10581] Mon, 02 February 2004 07:13 Go to previous message
ty
Well we have 10 institutes under one database and one instance right now. We have oracle 9i on aix 5.1. Now we want to have multiple databases one for each institute. Right now the files(datafiles) for each institute are already in different libraries so i think if we create mutilple databases then it would be easier to have the database files for each inst. separate. So as i am very new to oracle i would like to know how to create multiple databases on same server. Also we have 32gb ram on the server so i would like to know how big sga to allocate to each instance after i create those 10 databases. So i would appreciate if someone can send me the steps to how to create mutiple databases (instances) in oracle 9i on unix server.
Previous Topic: Re: Line Split
Next Topic: HELP! sql server dba covering Oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:47:14 CDT 2024