Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Dbms jobs on a second instance
Dbms jobs on a second instance [message #10534] Wed, 28 January 2004 21:50 Go to next message
patrick
We are using oracle 8.1.7. On this server we have multiple databases in two instances. We have a scheduled job on 2 databases in the first instance and that jobs works as it should.

On the second database the job just won't start. I had this problem before on a nother server but we god e new server and in the new instance it did work on that database. I think that it is because if you have a server with multiple instances you have to turn something on to make sure the dbms jobs will run.

variable jobno number;
begin
  dbms_job.submit (:jobno, 'nawserver.timer;', trunc(sysdate + 1) + 1/24,
  'trunc(sysdate + 1) + 1/24');
  commit;
end;

This works ok except on the one database that is in a second instance. Do you have to turn something on in an instance so jobs like this will start?

I really hope someone can answer me this.

Patrick
Netherlands
Re: Dbms jobs on a second instance [message #10548 is a reply to message #10534] Thu, 29 January 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
I assume you have set the job_queue_processes parameter correctly on that second instance?
Re: Dbms jobs on a second instance [message #10551 is a reply to message #10548] Thu, 29 January 2004 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
patrick
Think not then where can i find that? I haven't set any things like that.

Patrick
Re: Dbms jobs on a second instance [message #10556 is a reply to message #10551] Fri, 30 January 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
You need to find your init.ora file, or file of similar name. You can search for init*.ora. It should be in some sub-directory of your oracle home directory. Then find the line in it that says:

job_queue_processes = 0

and change it to:

job_queue_processes = 60

or some number inbetween, depending on how many you want to allow at one time. If there is no such line in the init.ora file, then addd one.

Then you need to re-start your database, in order for it to take effect.

You can also use the following command at the SQL prompt:

ALTER SYSTEM SET job_queue_processes = 60;

However, the above command is only good for that instance. You may want to try that first, to see if that is indeed the problem, prior to changing it in the init.ora file.
Re: Dbms jobs on a second instance [message #10590 is a reply to message #10556] Mon, 02 February 2004 05:44 Go to previous message
patrick
Barbara,

Thank you very much it works like a charm now.

Thank you for all the advice and i think by the looks of it everybody is really glad you are helping on this forum.

Patrick
Previous Topic: How to invoke storage procedure in ProC program
Next Topic: Re: Line Split
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 12:44:28 CDT 2024