Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Amateur
Amateur [message #10508] Tue, 27 January 2004 09:38 Go to next message
Curious
Hi,

I am new to Oracle and have a few questions.  I currently work with an existing Oracle DB.  But the database is a mess in terms of data and forms.  Currently, the database is being used for very basic purpose; storing customer information.  I want to restructure the database and import the data back into the improved Oracle.  Is it possible to dump all the data into a temporary storage such as an excel spreadsheet  and then restructure the database.  And then be able to import the old data back into Oracle.  I know that you can export tables from Access to Oracle but I want to 'clean' up the existing Oracle DB and its data.

Any suggestions on how to do this??
Re: Amateur [message #10515 is a reply to message #10508] Tue, 27 January 2004 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
georphin
take back up of control file,redolog file and data file(.dbf).
then clean up existing data and if u want upgrade to newr
version
Re: Amateur [message #10518 is a reply to message #10508] Tue, 27 January 2004 23:03 Go to previous message
William Robertson
Getting all the data into an Excel spreadsheet is probably possible but won't be straightforward, and is not recommended as a backup strategy. Oracle provide the Export and Import utilities (among others) for dumping data out to file.

It might be simplest to leave the data in place and create a second schema (account + tables) with an improved design. Then you can migrate the data across using SQL e.g. INSERT INTO newtablename SELECT columns FROM oldaccount.tablename.
Previous Topic: Query
Next Topic: URGENT, LAST DAY OF MONTH
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:52:12 CDT 2024