Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Multiple Databases/Homes/Instances
Multiple Databases/Homes/Instances [message #10394] Tue, 20 January 2004 17:23 Go to next message
Rob
I'm learning slowly how to build an oracle database.  I have an existing database set up on this system.  It has numerous pointers within it that I'd like to keep.  Pointers to it's own password file, services, SID's, etc...   Basically, I wanna leave this database alone and functional.

However, I need to learn how to build a database and I'm unable to do so.  This existing database named "Oracle" is listed in the registery as Home0 and the only home on this computer. 

So far, all I can think of to do, is add another home, Home1, and install the database that way.  But how do you add a "home" persay to a computer.  I have the service created...  But due to this "Oracle" database, it's like my computer won't even recognize the new service "DBS01".

Is multiple homes on my computer the answer to my problem of having two active databases on the same computer?  Or is there a way to get around the existing database with out breaking it... 

FYI, when I kill the "Oracle" service from the Windows NT service manager, I'm unable to connect at all through SQL*Plus.  Thus I'm unable to run the create database script.  When I kill the "Oracle" service and leave only the "DBS01" service running and try to connect through SQL*Plus I get an error: 

SQL> connect sys as sysdba
Enter password: ********
ERROR:
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

Any help would be awesome.   Thanks people.
Re: Multiple Databases/Homes/Instances [message #10403 is a reply to message #10394] Wed, 21 January 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Hi,
Its possible to have multiple databases running on the same ORACLE_HOME. You do not need to Shutdown the other instance ,as long as you have sufficient memory to operate both of the instances( you may need to tweak your instance configuration parameters in init.ora or spfile such as db_cache_size , large_pool_size, shared_pool_size,processes etc so as to accomodate both or any number of Oracle instances in a given server).

You can use Database Config assitant to create another database using the same Home.
You can use any of the following ways to switch between your database environment
i) Home selector ( Start-->Programs-->Oracle Installation Products-->Home Selector)
ii) If operating in Dos mode, set ORACLE_SID=DBS01 , followed by your commands(sqlplus etc)
iii) Configure TNSNAMES connect string( alias) to connect to the databases through Net 8. (start-->Programs-->Oracle-Orahome92-->Configuration and Management tools-->Net configuration assistant)
and connect to the 2nd database via sqlplus scott/tiger@DBS01
where DBS01 is the tns alias configured in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora via the Net Configuration assistant that defines whats your Database,ORACLE_HOME,Host , TCP/IP Port etc.

HTH
Thiru
Re: Multiple Databases/Homes/Instances [message #10410 is a reply to message #10403] Wed, 21 January 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob
Well here is the current problem. I can't use home selector as it errors out stating I only have one home. So apparently this is a multi-home tool. I have used the set Oracle_SID=DBS01 and that seems not to make a bit of difference. I used Net Config Assistant. Something about configuring a service...

What it boils down to is I'm still failing on database creation. And the Trace file is now stating that I'm using an invalid password file. I think I may do a new post with more info... Basically, this PWDn.ora file that the new database is trying to use is the password file for the original Oracle Database. I did create a new password file, but how do I associate the new password file to the new database? The new password file is named dbs01pwd.ora. However I have no idea where to put it. Made it with Orapwd.exe. Was refered to make the file by a book, yet it failed to tell me where to put the file when i'm done with it. =/ Or how to associate it to the new database.
Re: Multiple Databases/Homes/Instances [message #10413 is a reply to message #10410] Wed, 21 January 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Home Selector is used to switch between two different ORACLE_HOMEs .

SET ORACLE_SID , Tnsnames are used to switch between different databases as appropriate.

Password files ,on Windows platforms , are usually named PWD[[ORACLE_SID]].ora. Thats how the association is made. It should be placed in $ORACLE_HOME/database.
Re: Multiple Databases/Homes/Instances [message #10417 is a reply to message #10413] Wed, 21 January 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob
Well at this point I don't know what is forcing me to try and use a different password file. However there was something in the Initsmpl.ora file that comes with the Oracle Server installation that stated you can run multiple instances if you have a Master Init.Ora file as well as placing a IFILE='master init.ora PATH' into each Init(SID).ora, instance specific, file. Never need to use multiple homes. However it does share the same Buffer Cache for the two database instances. Know anything about this?
Re: Multiple Databases/Homes/Instances [message #10423 is a reply to message #10417] Wed, 21 January 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
I think you need to read the Server documentation(Installation & Concepts) first,before proceeding..
i m using jsp [message #11104 is a reply to message #10394] Sun, 07 March 2004 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kulsum
hi
could any one plz tell me how to make multiple homes in oracle 8i
reply soon
kkj47040@yahoo.com
cu
i m using jsp [message #11105 is a reply to message #10394] Sun, 07 March 2004 17:24 Go to previous message
kulsum
hi
im using JSP and i wanto conect to multiple homes in oracle 8(i) so that i can fetch my data from multiple dbs.
how to do that ?ans me at..
kkj47040@yahoo.com
cu
Previous Topic: any experience with composite partitioning range/list?
Next Topic: Merge Statement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 08:13:19 CDT 2024