Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » ERROR 12560
ERROR 12560 [message #10363] Sat, 17 January 2004 17:02 Go to next message
carly
I know you've all seen this before.  I just want to be clear.  I just installed 9i v.2 on a machine running XP.  Every time I try to log on to sql plus, ( I have 8i on 2K but upgraded worked fine!!!) I get error 12560, protocol adapter error.  When using host name I get 12154, could not resolve service name.  I am a student.newbie and need help.  Thank you

Carly
Re: ERROR 12560 [message #10364 is a reply to message #10363] Sat, 17 January 2004 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Please click on the link below for the section of Oracle on-line documentation on ora-12154 and see if that helps.

Re: ERROR 12560 [message #10368 is a reply to message #10364] Sun, 18 January 2004 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carly
Thank you Barbara for your reply.
I have searched and cannot find tnsnames.ora file. Do I now have to de/reinstall Oracle. Create the file in MSDOS... and under what directory (besides Oracle92what goes here) Also, will naming the service do all, specifically, access to SQL, and the 12560 error?
Thank you again
Carly
Re: ERROR 12560 [message #10369 is a reply to message #10368] Sun, 18 January 2004 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Are you sure you do not have a tnsnames.ora file anywhere on your hard drive? Have you searched every sub-directory of all partitions, c:?, d:?. From the command prompt of each root directory, if you type:

dir tnsnames*.*/s/p

it should list anyfile that starts with tnsnames in any sub-directory on that drive. It may have a slightly different name. It should be in your oracle_homenetworkadmin directory. If there isn't one, there should at least be a sample that you can copy and edit in the oracle_homenetworkadminsample directory. In the previous directory paths, you will need to substitute your actual oracle_home, for example, my tnsnames.ora is located at:

d:oracleora92networkadmintnsnames.ora

Once you locate the correct directory, you might search through all the files for something with a similar name. Did you skip any of the installation steps? Did you install the server or just the client?
Re: ERROR 12560 [message #10383 is a reply to message #10369] Mon, 19 January 2004 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carly
Thanks again Barbara.
I have searched my C drive (no partitions). The only tnsnames file is in a sample file. When the installation was over, my screen went to command mode and the prompt just blinked and I honestly don't remember if there was a message, (I believe there was). I installed the Personal ed, DB for school. The listener file was also a sample file. When I installed 8i a year ago, I didn't have a problem. It went in and I changed the user/name granted permissions etc. with no problems. Is it a problem with XP? Also, what about 12560, I uninstalled, and started over. Now all I get is the 12560 error protocol adapter. Thanks for your help.
Carly
Re: ERROR 12560 [message #10386 is a reply to message #10383] Tue, 20 January 2004 03:32 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
I have Oracle 9i Enterprise Edition database server running on Windows XP and did not have a problem with the installation. However, this was a new installation on a new machine, not an upgrade. I have had previous problems with uninstalling and re-installing 8.1.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7, where the previous version did not get completely uninstalled and had to be removed from the registry and a re-install done. Do you have any other Oracle products installed, like Developer Suite? If so, they each need to be installed in a different home. Did you install the database server and not just the client? If all you installed is the client, then there is no database to connect to.

Perhaps someone else will have some other ideas.

Here is what the on-line documentation has to say about the error:

Cause: A generic protocol adapter error occurred.

Action: Check addresses used for proper protocol specification. Before reporting this error, look at the error stack and check for lower level transport errors.For further details, turn on tracing and re-execute the operation. Turn off tracing when the operation is complete.
Previous Topic: querying list of related FK records to a special PK
Next Topic: Implementing Average function in PL/SQL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:02:47 CDT 2024