Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Whats the Differenece between SQL Statement and isql plus commands
Whats the Differenece between SQL Statement and isql plus commands [message #10138] Tue, 06 January 2004 03:48 Go to next message
Rishi Maini
Hi...
I am a newbie to Oracle ...

Can someone tell me whats the difference between SQL Statements and isql plus commands...

Regards
Rishi
Re: Whats the Differenece between SQL Statement and isql plus commands [message #10156 is a reply to message #10138] Tue, 06 January 2004 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
(i)SQL*Plus commands are commands specific for the tool you're using,i.e. iSQL*Plus. When you execute the following in iSQL*Plus: "SET SCAN OFF", you tell the tool not to scan for variables in the SQL commands. This is not an SQL command and hasn't got anything to do with SQL itself, since SQL is a Structured Query Language. It is meant to perform operations on the data: basically DML (select...,insert...) and DDL (alter table,...). The tool defines how your queries are visualised and treated.

HTH,
MHE
Re: Whats the Differenece between SQL Statement and isql plus commands [message #11378 is a reply to message #10138] Tue, 23 March 2004 17:32 Go to previous message
Ajith
SQL statements are ANSI standard and are common to all RDBMS platforms while ISQL and ISQL plus are Oracle propreitry.

SQL Commands like select, insert, update, delete access the database tables and manipulates the data. They change the status of the data items.

ISQL plus commands do not alter the database contents or table contents. They just access the database objects and produces the output in a tabular form.
Previous Topic: Oracle Forms on 9i AS --- How to Deploy ?
Next Topic: fast uploading of insert statements
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:41:20 CDT 2024