Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Inserting millin records from remote database
Inserting millin records from remote database [message #9972] Thu, 18 December 2003 00:35 Go to next message
Ajendra Naraya Samal
Hai
I am accesing abt 2 million records from a remote database by giving the command
Insert into target Select * from source@dblink
It takes around 2 hrs to fetch the data. Is there any way to improve performance.
Will the performance increase if I fetch first 20000 record in PL/SQL loop and then give the COMMIT stmt.
Also I can fetch the first 20000 rows using ROWNUM and give the commit stm then after. Will that be a better way ?
Is there any other way in oracle which will increase the performance ?
Thanks and regards
Ajendra
ajendrans@planetasia.com
Re: Inserting millin records from remote database [message #9977 is a reply to message #9972] Thu, 18 December 2003 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Dont have any indexes on the target table until the load is complete.
Set the target_table to NOLOGGING and do Insert /*+ APPEND */ into target ..
if possible.
Do it as 'Create Table as Select ' using PQ servers and NOLOGGING , if possible.

If not,try SQLPLUS COPY command which can do arrayfetches ( and optionally copycommits if you dont have Rollback segment space to do 2 million rows at a time).

Dont use PL/SQL unnecessarily and dont commit unnecessarily.

-Thiru
Re: Inserting millin records from remote database [message #9978 is a reply to message #9977] Thu, 18 December 2003 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ajendra Naraya Samal
Hai could u pl explain a bit on SQLPLUS COPY. And i am too not allowed for the CREATE TABLE command. Will Bulk fetch and then FORALL stmt be faster. I am using 9i. The table is having 30 fields and mostly numeric. I too need to insert into another 2 tables having around 1 million records in each.
Re: Inserting millin records from remote database [message #9980 is a reply to message #9978] Thu, 18 December 2003 08:21 Go to previous message
Thiru
Sqlplus COPY Demo:

SQL> set arraysize 5000
SQL> set copycommit 10
SQL> -- will commit every 50000 rows ( you should increase this to as high as possible)
SQL> drop table t;

Table dropped.

SQL> create table t as select * from all_objects where 1=2;

Table created.

SQL> COPY from test/****@dev06 -
> TO thiru/****@dev08 -
> INSERT T -
> USING -
> Select * from t;

Array fetch/bind size is 5000. (arraysize is 5000)
Will commit after every array bind. (copycommit is 10)
Maximum long size is 80. (long is 80)
27011 rows selected from test@dev06.
27011 rows inserted into T.
27011 rows committed into T at thiru@dev08.

SQL> select count(*) from t;

COUNT(*)
----------

For more details,pls refer to documentation.

A direct load Insert (ie Insert /*+ APPEND */ ) is very likely to outperform Bulk Collect/Insert .

-Thiru
Previous Topic: to_char(date)
Next Topic: execute pl/sql package from sql script
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:41:59 CDT 2024