Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Package
Package [message #898] Mon, 11 March 2002 19:49 Go to next message
Prasad Kulkarni
What is a Package? When do you need to create a Package? what is advantage of creating a package?
Re: Package [message #899 is a reply to message #898] Mon, 11 March 2002 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seng
Package is group of procedure or function. It is combined with package header and content. The using of package is based on your requirement.

Advantage of packages
- Security, some of program/business logic or data access is confidential. So with using packages, the program logic and data access is hide inside packages. e.g certain procedure is only able to access inside package by other procedure, like public & private.
Note: wrap packages for better security on packages source code.

- Programing Sense, easy manage by developer if a program/ business logic is programed in particular packages. Especially large program/business logic. and also easy to debug the source code.

- Installation, easy to install if each application has own packages.

Hope this is helping.
Re: Package [message #901 is a reply to message #898] Mon, 11 March 2002 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prasad Kulkarni
Thanks for the prompt reply. As written Package is a group of Procedures, functions. Suppose if I create a package and at some place I want to use only one procedure or function out of this package How would I use the same.
Re: Package [message #988 is a reply to message #901] Mon, 18 March 2002 18:01 Go to previous message
seng
Yes, you can call single procedure/function. but this procedure/function must be allowed to access from outside. To use this procedure/function as below

Packagename.procedure1();

Note: Please refer to Oracle Manual to get more information.

Hope this is helping.
Previous Topic: PL/SQL problem
Next Topic: SQL*Plus Matrix
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:27:36 CDT 2024