Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » difference between local procedure and stored procedure?
difference between local procedure and stored procedure? [message #9468] Wed, 12 November 2003 23:58 Go to next message
i t s
hi all,

Please tell me what is the difference between a stored procedure and a local procedure?

how do u call both these procedures from the sql prompt: is it-
exec procname(param);
(for both local and stored procedure)

One more question,
"http://download-west.oracle.com/"
is the above link active? i am not able to goto this link which once had a lot of oracle learning materials. is the address changed ?

pls clarify.
Re: difference between local procedure and stored procedure? [message #9471 is a reply to message #9468] Thu, 13 November 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Local procedure??? Local being client side right?

I believe that local procedures are NOT stored in the database, so an exec procname(param) will not work. Aren't you talking about an anonymous PL/SQL block:
DECLARE
something;
BEGIN
blah...
EXCEPTION
END;

These have to be stored in a .SQL script file and called via "START" or "@" in SQL*Plus.

The base url for oracle docs is: tahiti.oracle.com. the download-xxxx servers at oracle aren't meant to be addressed directly.

MHE
Re: difference between local procedure and stored procedure? [message #9472 is a reply to message #9471] Thu, 13 November 2003 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i t s
thnx maaher ,

but how did u know abt this tahiti.oracle.com resource address? (i tried in a lot of spaces but never could find this address)

anyway maaher ur answer was really helpful .
Re: difference between local procedure and stored procedure? [message #9539 is a reply to message #9472] Tue, 18 November 2003 13:14 Go to previous message
Maaher
Just like you did: I bumped into it on this forum. Never forgot about it. It's one of my favourites ( along with asktom.oracle.com ). http://docs.oracle.com is the similar but I still prefer the tahiti variant less distraction.

MHE
Previous Topic: oracle
Next Topic: in oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:43:12 CDT 2024