Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Syntax error with simple trigger script
Syntax error with simple trigger script [message #9262] Wed, 29 October 2003 14:05 Go to next message
David Karr
I'm using Oracle 8.1.7.

I'm trying to write a simple trigger that is used to fill in a primary key column from a sequence. I have some sort of syntax problem, but I don't understand what it could be. I'd like help with the problem, but I'd also appreciate directions to where in the Oracle documentation I could go to help figure this out for myself (if I run into something similar later).

The trigger is just this:
-----------------
CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER VOLUNTEER_ACTIVITY_OID_TRIGGER
BEFORE INSERT ON VOLUNTEER_ACTIVITY
FOR EACH ROW
BEGIN
:new.OID := OID_SEQUENCE.NEXTVAL;
END;
-----------------

I've tried numerous variations of the last two lines. Everything I've tried gets a syntax error on the "create", or shows a validation error when I try an "insert" after this.
Re: Syntax error with simple trigger script [message #9264 is a reply to message #9262] Wed, 29 October 2003 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
There is a thread on this same issue just down the page, but here you go:

create or replace trigger volunteer_activity_oid_trigger
  before insert on volunteer_activity
  for each row
begin
  select oid_sequence.nextval 
    into :new.oid 
    from dual;
end;
/
Re: Syntax error with simple trigger script [message #9266 is a reply to message #9264] Wed, 29 October 2003 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Karr
Ok, this gets me closer. If I enter this directly into sqlplus, it works, and my insert works.

Now, I could still use help getting this to work with the tools that I'm trying to use. I'm storing this string into a file, and passing that into the "sql" task of Ant, which obviously uses JDBC to connect to the database and send the information.

When I process it this way, I get the following from Ant:

------------------
Executing file: createdb.sql
Failed to execute: end

BUILD FAILED
... java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00900: invalid SQL statement
------------------

Inside sqlplus, if I then do "show errors trigger volunteer_activity_oid_trigger;", I get the following:

Errors for TRIGGER VOLUNTEER_ACTIVITY_OID_TRIGGER:

LINE/COL ERROR
-------- -----------------------------------------------------------------
1/57 PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "end-of-file" when expecting
one of the following:
. , @ ; for <an identifier>
<a double-quoted delimited-identifier> group having intersect
minus order partition start subpartition union where connect
SAMPLE_
Re: Syntax error with simple trigger script [message #9267 is a reply to message #9266] Wed, 29 October 2003 14:46 Go to previous message
David Karr
Never mind. I figured this out. I have to specify a different statement terminator for triggers. I now have triggers in a separate script than the other statements.

Thanks.
Previous Topic: Connect with sqlplus, have JDBC connection
Next Topic: Problem when we using a value of Cursor in another Cursor in Parent Child Cursor.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 09:12:19 CDT 2024