Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Connect with sqlplus, have JDBC connection
Connect with sqlplus, have JDBC connection [message #9255] Wed, 29 October 2003 11:23 Go to next message
David Karr
I have a working JDBC connection to my Oracle 8.1.7 database. I have a trigger that is apparently "invalid" (an insert fails with that message). I guess I have to get into an environment where I can see compile errors for triggers. I have a generic JDBC browser (SQuirreL), but I don't think I can see trigger compile details in that interface.

So, I guess I have to use "sqlplus" or somesuch to see this information. What's unclear to me is, given my working JDBC connection, how do I specify the connection information for "sqlplus"? it seems to require a "connect_string", but I don't know what form that is in. I have my working JDBC url, which has information about the database host and instance name, but I don't know what pieces of that are needed for the "connect_string".
Re: Connect with sqlplus, have JDBC connection [message #9260 is a reply to message #9255] Wed, 29 October 2003 13:42 Go to previous message
Thiru
If you are just using a thin jdbc client which doesnt need Oracle client installation,then you will need to install Oracle client(sqlplus,networking components etc). Once the client is installed,you should be able to configure tns alias using Net Easy config utility specifying the host,port,SID,protocol etc. The tns connect strings are usually stored in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora file.

An example of connect string definition is as follows:

DEV08 =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = mercury)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = DEV08)
)
)

and you would connect as
sqlplus user/password@tns_connect_string

-Thiru
Previous Topic: Concatenate large strings
Next Topic: Syntax error with simple trigger script
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:37:16 CDT 2024