Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » While installing oracle 9i whats host_name?
While installing oracle 9i whats host_name? [message #9191] Sat, 25 October 2003 09:29 Go to next message
Priyanka Shah
I installed oracle9i from a cd i had with the book... It has installed almost everything...

I do have sqlplus and Pro C/C++ too.

In sqlplus I know that the default username is scott and password is tiger but what is the host_name?
Re: While installing oracle 9i whats host_name? [message #9192 is a reply to message #9191] Sat, 25 October 2003 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
priyanka
I just used scott tiger blank host_name gives TNS: protocol adapter error..

I have oracle 8 also installed... and I installed 9 in different drive...
Re: While installing oracle 9i whats host_name? [message #9195 is a reply to message #9191] Sat, 25 October 2003 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
You mean the host string ? Its actually asking you for the TNSnames connect string thats defined in your $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora file.

Did you specify a database name or configure listener during your database installation? Check your Control panel-->Services to find out what Oracle services are created.
By default,the instance ORCL is created and you could try that or even just leave that blank( sqlplus should connect through the BEQ protocol ) to connect to the local instance that was created.
Re: While installing oracle 9i whats host_name? [message #9196 is a reply to message #9192] Sat, 25 October 2003 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
In a multi instance config, you could connect to one of the local databases either by specifying the ORACLE_SID in your environment(manually in DOS prompt or switching Oracle_Home by Start-->Programs-->Oracle Instalation products-->Home Selector) and skipping the tns connect sting OR specifying the tns connect string as part of the login.

eg)
set ORACLE_HOME=c:oracleora92
set ORACLE_SID=oracle9
sqlplus scott/tiger

OR

sqlplus scott/tiger@oracle8_tns_connect_String

where the connect string is defined in your tnsnames.ora file (the location depends on your TNS_ADMIN setting).

Have you configured listener process and tnsnames.ora yet ?
Re: While installing oracle 9i whats host_name? [message #9200 is a reply to message #9195] Sun, 26 October 2003 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
priyanka
Its actually asking you for the TNSnames connect string thats defined in your $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora file.

After I installed the developer license of oracle9i..
I just went to sqlplus and said scott tiger...It gave me a TNS protocol error.. There is no tnsnames.ora file under $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/ but there is one under $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/SAMPLE...which does not have anything set in it.. What am I supposed to write in it if I am just running this on mu local machine?

Did you specify a database name or configure listener during your database installation? Check your Control panel-->Services to find out what Oracle services are created.

I didnt specify anything.. Just said what the installation path was ie. ORACLE_HOME ie C:oracle9

I have oracle8i for xp on this machine and that was when this machine was not XP..

There were 2 services created..Oracleoracle_homeClientCache (manual) and Oracleoracle_homeAgent which has automatic startup
Re: While installing oracle 9i whats host_name? [message #9233 is a reply to message #9200] Tue, 28 October 2003 04:23 Go to previous message
Thiru
Priyanka,
it looks like you have just installed the Oracle client and not the Server. You will need to invoke Net easy config tool and configure tnsnames connect string(specify host,port,Sid etc) and save the network config ,which will create your tnsnames.ora .You will then need to specify a valid connect string for a remote database in that case.

-Thiru
Previous Topic: Qry Help Plz
Next Topic: sql query to display top three ranks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:43:23 CDT 2024