Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » New - Not using Oracle Reporting Tools - Need Help Please
New - Not using Oracle Reporting Tools - Need Help Please [message #8587] Tue, 02 September 2003 18:58 Go to next message
Tracy
Hi. I am new to PL*SQL and know TSQL. I have created a script that will sum data from various tables in my database, the output needs to be spooled from sqlplus and I am not using the Oracle reporting tools.

I have two different issues:

1st - For each table I am pulling data from, I need a header - I have tried the dbms_output, but I do not think I am using correctly, or there is another command I should be using.

2nd - When spooling the data, I noticed that the totals are not lining up with the proper column.

Example:

Select count(*) "row_count",
sum(column a) "column a,
sum(column b) "column b
from table_one

Select count (*) "row_count",
sum(column c) "column c",
sum(column d) "column d",
sum(column e) "column e"
from table_two

I would like the results to be:

Table One:
Row Count Column A Column B
457 225.36 458.96

Table Two:
Row Count Column C Column D Column E
1452 0.00 1458.97 452698.96

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tracy
Re: New - Not using Oracle Reporting Tools - Need Help Please [message #8588 is a reply to message #8587] Wed, 03 September 2003 01:05 Go to previous message
Maaher
Before you can use dbms_output.put_line, you should enable it by the sql*plus command [b]Set Serveroutput On [[size]]. The size is the buffersize you need, but, dbms_output will store all output in a buffer and will display it in the end of the pl/sql block it is used in. In a script, I prefer SELECT 'something' FROM dual instead of EXEC(UTE) dbms_output.put_line('something');

I find the 'select from dual' approach much more flexible (dbms_output.put_line is limited to 255 chars per line).

If still not clear on this, it would help if you'd say whether you're doing something in PL/SQL or in an SQL script.

MHE
Previous Topic: Memiory Increases for Oracle80.exe process
Next Topic: Select Query from three Tables ....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:08:45 CDT 2024