Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Substitution in a select statement
Substitution in a select statement [message #8387] Thu, 14 August 2003 12:39 Go to next message
JOHN
What I have is two columns of information that I need to compare in a select statement and return a seperate value.

Example Columns; emp, empno, empfreq, empfrequnit, empdate.

I need to select all of the columns based on the empdate, but when empfreq = 1 and empfrequnit = WEEKS I need to return the value WEEKLY or if empfreq = 3 and empfrequnit = MONTHS I need to return the value MONTHLY, and etc. There are a limited number of distinct variables that will not change, but I need perform the comparison and value return on each selected row.

I've been playing with it, but nothing I try seems to fit the bill. Using variables and if-then-elses seem to be what I want, but for the life of me, I can't work it out.

This is simply a select statement and while I could perform the conversion in another program I'd prefer to do it in the initial select only.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Re: Substitution in a select statement [message #8388 is a reply to message #8387] Thu, 14 August 2003 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
Since you didn't provide any version information, I will assume you are on 8.1.6 or later.

select emp, empno, empfreq, empfrequnit, empdate,
       case
         when empfreq = 1 and empfrequnit = 'WEEKS' then 'WEEKLY'
         when empfreq = 3 and empfrequnit = 'MONTHS' then 'MONTHLY'
       end calc_column_name
  from emp
 where empdate ...;
Re: Substitution in a select statement [message #8390 is a reply to message #8388] Thu, 14 August 2003 13:19 Go to previous message
JOHN
Yes v9.

And thanks, it worked.

Must be a noob, I was way overthinking this one.

Thanks again Todd.
Previous Topic: convert to stored procedure
Next Topic: Total of Sums
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:49:20 CDT 2024