Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » question
question [message #8342] Mon, 11 August 2003 14:40 Go to next message
Gus
How do I log onto oracle for the first time? I am just starting out and from what I remember.

Name : scott
pass : tiger
host : ?

What is the host? I am on a Win 2000 machine.
How could creating a new name and password?
Re: question [message #8343 is a reply to message #8342] Mon, 11 August 2003 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Just leave the host blank to connect to your local database. Or you can enter it, if you know what it is. You should have written it down when you did your installation.

If you want to create a new user/schema and password, first you need to connect as a user that has privileges to do so, such as system/manager. Then:

SQL> CREATE USER new_name IDENTIFIED BY new_password;

You will also need to grant appropriate privileges to the new_name:

SQL> GRANT CONNECT TO new_name;
SQL> GRANT RESOURCE TO new_name;
SQL> GRANT CREATE ANY TABLE TO new_name;

and so forth.

Then you can connect as new_name/password in the same manner that you would connect as scott/tiger.
Re: question [message #8349 is a reply to message #8343] Tue, 12 August 2003 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gus
It keeps saying that it is unable to connect when I put in

scott
tiger

is there a service I need to start?
or a database I need to create?
Re: question [message #8355 is a reply to message #8349] Tue, 12 August 2003 15:36 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
There should be more than just "unable to connect". What exact error message number do you get?

How did you do your installation? From CD's? If so, there should have been options for either client or server and you should have selected server. If you selected client, then there is no database to connect to and you need to re-do your installation, selecting server.

If you selected server, then everything else should have been done automatically and your local database should be your default if you leave the host string blank. The database should start when the machine is started. You might try re-starting your machine.
Previous Topic: Sql statement involving dates
Next Topic: NLS PARAMENTER VALUES
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:46:05 CDT 2024