Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Formatting output - a query
Formatting output - a query [message #8186] Sat, 02 August 2003 01:57 Go to next message
Rajeev Katyal
Consider i have a table with following colums

Person_Name varchar2(20)
Product varchar2(15)
Sales_value number
-------------------------------------
It contains sales value for different persons for different products.

A general query will produce the output in following manner.

Person Product Value
==================================
John Butter 210
Mill Cheese 50
John Cheese 60
Smith Ice 100

Now i want the output in following manner

Butter Cheese Ice
Smith 0 0 100
JOhn 210 60 0
Mill 0 50 0
===========================================
I had tried by using "decode" ..but i was getting

Butter Cheese Ice
Smith 100
JOhn 210
John 60
Mill 50
========================================
i.e. i want that it should show one row each person.

It is possible using sql query or report builder , if yes , pls help.

Regards,
Katyal
Re: Formatting output - a query [message #8196 is a reply to message #8186] Sat, 02 August 2003 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Try: SUM (DECODE (.....))
Re: Formatting output - a query [message #8207 is a reply to message #8196] Sun, 03 August 2003 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
katyal_rinku@yahoo.com
Had used sum decode..but it results in multiple rows for one person.
What i want is , that it should return only single row for one person ..instead of multiple rows.
Re: Formatting output - a query [message #8216 is a reply to message #8207] Mon, 04 August 2003 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Looking at what you posted previously, I suspect that the problem has to do with inconsistent case within your data. You are probably receiving one line for 'JOhn' with an upper case 'O' and one line for 'John' with a lower case 'o'. This can be solved by adding either INITCAP or UPPER or LOWER. Below I have used the initial data that you provided, then a query with decode alone, which produces multiple lines per person_name, then a query with sum and decode, which produces only one line per person_name. Then I have changed one 'John' to 'JOhn' as your sample output indicates your data must be, then shown that the same query with sum and decode now produces multiple lines, then shown that, if you add INITCAP, it solves the problem and produces what you want.

SQL> -- initial test table and data:
SQL> CREATE TABLE your_table
  2    (person_name VARCHAR2 (20),
  3  	product     VARCHAR2 (15),
  4  	sales_value NUMBER)
  5  /

Table created.

SQL> INSERT INTO your_table VALUES ('John', 'Butter', 210)
  2  /

1 row created.

SQL> INSERT INTO your_table VALUES ('Mill', 'Cheese', 50)
  2  /

1 row created.

SQL> INSERT INTO your_table VALUES ('John', 'Cheese', 60)
  2  /

1 row created.

SQL> INSERT INTO your_table VALUES ('Smith', 'Ice', 100)
  2  /

1 row created.

SQL> SELECT * FROM your_table
  2  /

PERSON_NAME          PRODUCT         SALES_VALUE                                
-------------------- --------------- -----------                                
John                 Butter                  210                                
Mill                 Cheese                   50                                
John                 Cheese                   60                                
Smith                Ice                     100                                

SQL> --
SQL> --
SQL> -- query using decode with sum produces one line per
SQL> -- combination of person_name and product:
SQL> SELECT   person_name,
  2  	      DECODE (product, 'Butter', sales_value) AS "Butter",
  3  	      DECODE (product, 'Cheese', sales_value) AS "Cheese",
  4  	      DECODE (product, 'Ice',	 sales_value) AS "Ice"
  5  FROM     your_table
  6  /

PERSON_NAME              Butter     Cheese        Ice                           
-------------------- ---------- ---------- ----------                           
John                        210                                                 
Mill                                    50                                      
John                                    60                                      
Smith                                             100                           

SQL> --
SQL> --
SQL> -- query using sum and decode produces one line per person_name:
  2  	      SUM (DECODE (product, 'Butter', sales_value)) AS "Butter",
  3  	      SUM (DECODE (product, 'Cheese', sales_value)) AS "Cheese",
  4  	      SUM (DECODE (product, 'Ice',    sales_value)) AS "Ice"
  5  FROM     your_table
  6  GROUP BY person_name
  7  /

John                        210         60                                      

SQL> --
SQL> --
SQL> -- modification of data to create 'JOhn' in addition to 'John':
SQL> UPDATE your_table
  2  SET    person_name = 'JOhn'
  3  WHERE  person_name = 'John'
  4  AND    product = 'Butter'
  5  /

1 row updated.

SQL> SELECT * FROM your_table
  2  /

PERSON_NAME          PRODUCT         SALES_VALUE                                
-------------------- --------------- -----------                                
JOhn                 Butter                  210                                
Mill                 Cheese                   50                                
John                 Cheese                   60                                
Smith                Ice                     100                                

SQL> --
SQL> --
SQL> -- same query now produces two lines, one for 'JOhn' and one for 'John':
  5  FROM     your_table
  6  GROUP BY person_name
  7  /

JOhn                        210                                                 
John                                    60                                      

SQL> --
SQL> --
<b>SQL> -- usage of INITCAP or UPPER or LOWER function solves the problem:
SQL> SELECT   INITCAP (person_name),
  5  FROM     your_table
  6  GROUP BY INITCAP (person_name)
  7  /

INITCAP(PERSON_NAME)     Butter     Cheese        Ice                           
John                        210         60                                      
Smith                                             100</b>                           
Re: Formatting output - a query [message #8219 is a reply to message #8216] Tue, 05 August 2003 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rajeev Katyal
Firstly..thanks a lot , the sum decode is now working.

I have further query..would like to ask you , if i am not troubling you.

According to me , we can go for decode in case where the No. of products are limited , like in this case there are only 3 products i.e. butter , cheese , ice.
So we can hardcore product name and use it.

But..what to do if the products are unlimited..say 10-15-20.....
Still is there any way....by any means i.e. either using a sql or pl/sql block(using cursors) or D2k reports.
(please ignore the letter case like JOhn,John for the time being)
Please help.

Rajeev Katyal
Re: Formatting output - a query [message #8242 is a reply to message #8219] Tue, 05 August 2003 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
There are different ways to dynamically construct the query when the values and/or number of values are unknown. I will demonstrate two methods and put them in separate posts, so that they are easier to read. In this first post, I use SQL to create SQL. It spools the results of prompts and queries to another file (query.sql) which will then contain the query that you want, then starts that file that it just created. Just run the following:

STORE SET saved_settings REPLACE
SET ECHO OFF FEEDBACK OFF HEADING OFF PAGES 0 VERIFY OFF
SPOOL query.sql
PROMPT SELECT person_name
SELECT DISTINCT ', SUM (DECODE (product, '''
|| product
|| ''', sales_value)) AS "'
|| product
|| '"'
FROM your_table
/
PROMPT FROM your_table
PROMPT GROUP BY person_name
PROMPT /
SPOOL OFF
START saved_settings
START query
Re: Formatting output - a query [message #8243 is a reply to message #8219] Tue, 05 August 2003 16:03 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
This second method uses pl/sql. It loops through an implicit cursor to create the query (v_sql), then opens a ref cursor based on the query. I have just printed the ref cursor from SQL*Plus, however you could elso fetch into variables and output using DBMS_OUTPUT.

SQL> CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE types
  2  AS
  3    TYPE weak_ref_cursor IS REF CURSOR;
  4  END types;
  5  /

Package created.

SQL> CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE your_procedure
  2    (p_ref IN OUT types.weak_ref_cursor)
  3  AS
  4    v_sql VARCHAR2 (4000);
  5  BEGIN
  6    v_sql := 'SELECT person_name';
  7    FOR rec IN
  8  	 (SELECT DISTINCT product FROM your_table)
  9    LOOP
 10  	 v_sql := v_sql
 11  	       || ',SUM(DECODE(product,'''
 12  	       || rec.product
 13  	       || ''',sales_value)) AS "'
 14  	       || rec.product
 15  	       || '"';
 16    END LOOP;
 17    v_sql := v_sql || ' FROM your_table GROUP BY person_name';
 18    OPEN p_ref FOR v_sql;
 19  END your_procedure;
 20  /

Procedure created.

SQL> VARIABLE g_ref REFCURSOR
SQL> EXECUTE your_procedure (:g_ref)

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SQL> PRINT g_ref

John                        420        120                                      
Mill                                   100                                      
Smith                                             200                           
Previous Topic: inserting 1 column's data to several in another table
Next Topic: Barbara-DECODE Function from your code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:56:55 CDT 2024