Home » Developer & Programmer » Designer » What is the Difference Between Oracle Developer and Designer 2000
What is the Difference Between Oracle Developer and Designer 2000 [message #81509] Tue, 25 February 2003 09:36 Go to next message
Sujan
Hi All,
I am very much confused with the Terms Oraacle Developer 2000 and Oracle Designer 2000. So Please Help me i am new to the Oracle.
Thanks
Re: What is the Difference Between Oracle Developer and Designer 2000 [message #81513 is a reply to message #81509] Wed, 26 February 2003 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ritesh Kumar
These refer to two different products of Oracle.
Developer -> Development Suite (forms, reports, etc)
Designer -> Data Modeling product
With Designer you generate what you build by hand in Developer. [message #81518 is a reply to message #81509] Wed, 26 February 2003 15:00 Go to previous message
Cor
With Developer you can build "by hand" forms and reports. For example you drag and drop elements of your form on a drawing board. You work in a .fmb file and when you finished the work, you will compile it into a .fmx file.

With Designer you can generate forms (and reports) based on so called modules you build in Designer. It is a more abstract level of working. In this module you define objects, f.e. a recordgrid based on a specific table. Furthermore you set properties for these objects, f.e. you want the grid to start 2 positions from the left and having a width of 80 positions. Next the Designer-generator will transform all this definitions into a form, a fmb-file. You can open this fmb-file in Developer Forms, and continu working on it from there if you want to. Designer can also compile the fmb-file it generated, so you have the endproduct (.fmx) file already there.

At my work we use Designer just for forms. Reports we build only with Developer. From my experience it takes a a lot of time with Designer to get the ultimate layout of the form right. On the other hand you win a lot of time, because of for example a List of values can be easily generated. Furthermore, there is a product called Oracle Headstart you can use in combination with Designer, that helps to create a framework for the implementation of your business rules (f.e. the placingdate of a order cannot be before today), including evoking corresponding messages for the enduser. That saves us time too.
Previous Topic: database design
Next Topic: Designer 6i and CIOORACLE_DATABASE.DATA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 01:41:07 CDT 2024