Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Difference between JOIN and inner join
Difference between JOIN and inner join [message #7905] Wed, 16 July 2003 10:57 Go to next message
shashi
What is the difference between JOIN keywrod and the inner join??

Example -
Select * from a , b where a.id = b.id

&

Select * from a JOIN on b .......I am not sure how to use this exactly.

Thanks
Re: Difference between JOIN and inner join [message #7915 is a reply to message #7905] Wed, 16 July 2003 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Prior to version 9i of Oracle, the only valid syntax for an inner join was:

Select * from a , b where a.id = b.id;

In Oracle 9i, you can still use the above or you can use:

Select * from a JOIN on b;

or you can use:

Select * from a INNER JOIN on b;

If you don't specify whether a join is an INNER JOIN or a LEFT OUTER JOIN or a RIGHT OUTER JOIN or a FULL OUTER JOIN, then INNER JOIN is the default. That is why INNER JOIN is the same as just JOIN.

They are all the same. The new 9i syntax is ANSI SQL compliant. Theoretically you could use the same syntax on anything that supports SQL, whether it is Oracle or SQL Server or whatever. The old syntax, prior to 9i, is specific to Oracle and doesn't work on other systems.
Re: Difference between JOIN and inner join [message #7957 is a reply to message #7915] Fri, 18 July 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shashi
Thanks Barbara,
After reading your answer got another question.
what is a FULL OUTER JOIN.

Shashi
Re: Difference between JOIN and inner join [message #7963 is a reply to message #7957] Fri, 18 July 2003 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
A FULL OUTER JOIN is the combined results of a LEFT OUT JOIN and RIGHT OUTER JOIN. I have provided an example of LEFT OUTER JOIN, RIGHT OUTER JOIN, then FULL OUTER JOIN below. I have provided both the 9i ANSI SQL syntax and 8i syntax, which is still usable in 9i, but I have only run the 8i syntax, since I am using 8i. Also, the OUTER keyword is optional, so, for example, LEFT OUTER JOIN is the same as LEFT JOIN.

SQL> -- test data:
SQL> SELECT * FROM a
  2  /

ID COL2                                                                 
---------- -------------------------                                            
         1 id value in both tables                                              
         2 id value in table a only                                             

SQL> SELECT * FROM b
  2  /

ID COL2                                                                 
---------- -------------------------                                            
         1 id value in both tables                                              
         3 id value in table b only                                             

SQL> -- left outer join with 9i syntax:
SQL> -- SELECT a.id, a.col2, b.id, b.col2
SQL> -- FROM   a LEFT OUTER JOIN b ON a.id = b.id
SQL> -- /
SQL> -- left outer join with 8i syntax:
SQL> SELECT a.id, a.col2, b.id, b.col2
  2  FROM   a, b
  3  WHERE  a.id = b.id (+)
  4  /

ID COL2                              ID COL2                            
---------- ------------------------- ---------- -------------------------       
         1 id value in both tables            1 id value in both tables         

SQL> -- right outer join with 9i syntax:
SQL> -- FROM   a RIGHT OUTER JOIN b ON a.id = b.id
SQL> -- /
SQL> -- right outer join with 8i syntax:
  2  FROM   a, b
  3  WHERE  a.id (+) = b.id
  4  /

SQL> -- full outer join with 9i syntax:
SQL> -- FROM   a FULL OUTER JOIN b ON a.id = b.id
SQL> -- /
SQL> -- full outer join with 8i syntax:
  2  FROM   a, b
  3  WHERE  a.id = b.id (+)
  4  UNION ALL
  5  SELECT a.id, a.col2, b.id, b.col2
  6  FROM   a, b
  7  WHERE  a.id (+) = b.id
  8  AND    a.id IS NULL
  9  /

Re: Difference between JOIN and inner join [message #8118 is a reply to message #7963] Mon, 28 July 2003 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indranil
thank u barbara for the clarity in the above example of join and outer join
Re: Difference between JOIN and inner join [message #141463 is a reply to message #7963] Mon, 10 October 2005 07:12 Go to previous message
Jorsan
Wanna thank Barbara for a nice and understandable explanation of joins.

/Jorsan
Previous Topic: keeping track of older version of procedures
Next Topic: simply need top n rows as in table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:07:10 CDT 2024