Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Returning a recordset from an insert proc
Returning a recordset from an insert proc [message #7679] Mon, 30 June 2003 13:46 Go to next message
Joël
Hello all,
I need to return the last value used in a sequence from an INSERT proc. I tried to SELECT MAX(ID) FROM table after the INSERT statement as follows:

CREATE OR REPLACE Procedure usp_RollupInsertJob(
VchDescription IN DIM_RollupJob.VCH_DESCRIPTION%TYPE,
VchManager IN DIM_RollupJob.VCH_MANAGER%TYPE,
VchStatus IN DIM_RollupJob.VCH_STATUS%TYPE,
VchStartTime IN DIM_RollupJob.VCH_STARTTIME%TYPE,
VchEndTime IN DIM_RollupJob.VCH_ENDTIME%TYPE)
AS

BEGIN
INSERT INTO DIM_RollupJob (N_JobID, Vch_Description, Vch_Manager, Vch_Status,Vch_StartTime, Vch_EndTime)
VALUES (SEQ_JobID.nextval, VchDescription, VchManager, VchStatus, VchStartTime, VchEndTime);

SELECT MAX(N_JobID) FROM DIM_RollupJob;

END;

Output parameters are NOT an option, unfortunately. I need to be able to programatically access a recordset.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joel Scavone
Re: Returning a recordset from an insert proc [message #7680 is a reply to message #7679] Mon, 30 June 2003 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
Several issues here Joel.

1) The use of SELECT MAX to return the just-inserted sequence value is not a valid approach in a multi-user environment. With concurrent inserts, you are likely to get a value inserted by someone else.

2) A SELECT statement (with no INTO clause) is invalid in PL/SQL.

3) Why is an OUT parameter not an option? You are writing in PL/SQL here - not sure why you are eliminating a fundamental feature.

4) The only way to return the value issued by the sequence - short of assigning the value prior to the insert statement - is the RETURNING clause:

insert into ... values (...) returning n_jobid into v_n_jobid;

But you have no way to return this to the calling program without using an OUT parameter.
Re: Returning a recordset from an insert proc [message #7681 is a reply to message #7680] Mon, 30 June 2003 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joël
Todd,
Thanks.

I wouldn't use this approach if I wasn't POSITIVE my process was the ONLY one inserting.

Our ADO code consistently crashes with Output parameters and the OLEDB Provider for Oracle.

I'm a reasonably seasoned T-SQL cat, and I'm tearing my hair out with PL/SQL. What is the best book you would recommend that's NOT from Oracle Press? -- I'm not a big fan of MS Press either; I don't like to buy books from the creater of the technology-- they're usually a bit biased.
correction: "ceator"not "ceater" (I take the short bus) [message #7682 is a reply to message #7681] Mon, 30 June 2003 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joël
I hate typos.
Re: Returning a recordset from an insert proc [message #7683 is a reply to message #7681] Mon, 30 June 2003 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
OK, well why a stored proc at all then given the middleware bug issues? Why not just:

insert into ... values .. returning n_jobid into :x;

in your ADO code? I mean, I'm a huge advocate of DML only happening in backend (PL/SQL) code, but with your bug issues, why not just deal with it at the source?
Re: Returning a recordset from an insert proc [message #7691 is a reply to message #7683] Tue, 01 July 2003 08:51 Go to previous message
Joël
I'd agree. Architecturally, We're trying to keep a loose coupling between the business tier and data tier. We're trying to maintain parallel code for Oracle and SQL Server.

However, you make a good point. I was unfamiliar with the RETURNING clause. I'm not accustomed to the OO nature of PL/SQL.

I'm going to look into that as an option given our setting. Thanks for the info. You've been helpful.

Joel
Previous Topic: define if time is null
Next Topic: slow retrival of DATA from the Given Procedure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 03:50:32 CDT 2024