Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » deep understanding of extends needed...
deep understanding of extends needed... [message #7383] Tue, 10 June 2003 13:00 Go to next message
NikoD
Initial, next, sort area size, db block size, pctincrease. Can anyone provide a better understanding of the sizing options and how to properly calculate them as with the following example?

Create tablespace temp
datafile '/disk5/oradataMYDB01/temp01.dbf' size 300M
default storage (initial 2M next 2M pctincrease 50
maxextents 3)
temporary;

Having a dificulty grasping the idea using the cybex books.

Thank you all for any information and clarification you can provide.

Niko.
Re: deep understanding of extends needed... [message #7384 is a reply to message #7383] Tue, 10 June 2003 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
Since your example used TEMP...

1) You should be creating a true temporary tablespace - not a tablespace of type temporary (old way). The new way will create sparse tempfiles instead of datafiles.

2) You should be using locally managed tablespaces. No need to even bother with initial, next, or pctincrease parameters.

3) The extent size of the temporary tablespace should be a multiple of the sort_area_size.

Factoring in all these statements, your command becomes:

create temporary tablespace TEMP
  tempfile '/disk5/oradataMYDB01/temp01.dbf' size 300M
  extent management local
  uniform size 1M;

This assumes a sort_area_size of 1M.
Re: deep understanding of extends needed... [message #7449 is a reply to message #7384] Fri, 13 June 2003 17:06 Go to previous message
NikoD
Todd, thank you for your kind response. I am studying for the fundamentals I exam and I feel a bit shakey on this part of initial, next or pctincrease. I wanted to see if someone could explain it better that the book I am using. Thank you for the suggestion and I will keep it in consideration when I start working as a junior DBA :) I want to know more that just what will work, so my understanding will be deeper and better...

Regards,

Niko Dimos
Previous Topic: How to get database schema in XML format
Next Topic: Passing Order by to a function
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:52:30 CDT 2024