Home » Server Options » Spatial » Very slow queries when using oracle spatial
Very slow queries when using oracle spatial [message #75827] Mon, 19 April 2004 12:59
Nishant Mehta
Hi,

I am storing spatial regions inside the data base. The data is very simple in form. That is each region is a small rectangle. The boundaries of rectangle touch each other but they do not overlap.

I use the SDO_FILTER query to find regions inside the data base that intersect a particular line. I have around 25000 objects in the database.

The problem is that when the result of the query is large (70% of the tuples) that means there are many regions in the cache that intersect the line, the amount of time it takes is a lot more than if I do the same without using the R Tree.

I can do it without using the R Tree because all my objects are rectangles. I store the the left bottom and the top right corner of the rectangle in the data base. And then use a simple range query.

Is this behaviour expected? should I use an R Tree index structure, or something else. I know that when the result is very large the R Tree search will have to search many sub trees to retrieve the data points. But should the performance be worse than a sequential scan?

Or will indexes only work for cases where the selectivity of the query is high? 

Please reply I need help,

Nishant
Previous Topic: Oracle on RedHat Installing problems
Next Topic: Map Viewer and Relational Model
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:00:25 CDT 2024