Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Help: Sending output directly to printer
Help: Sending output directly to printer [message #7265] Fri, 30 May 2003 21:28 Go to next message
ash
Hi, is there anyone here who has tried sending an output directly to a printer(dot mtrx)?
lets say, i have an invoicing app created in Forms 5/6i i need to print the invoice data directly since were using a custom sized paper and using the Report builder is not practical coz u dont neet to preview your output anymore...

i appreciate your feedback.. thanks
Re: Help: Sending output directly to printer [message #7281 is a reply to message #7265] Mon, 02 June 2003 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
1.In Reports, you can send the output directly to a printer. Just change the destination_type.

2.You could spool a flat file and via 'HOST' redirect it via OS commands to the printer.

MHE
Re: Help: Sending output directly to printer [message #7293 is a reply to message #7281] Mon, 02 June 2003 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ash
Hi MHE, still need your expertise here.
the follwing VB code was used to print an invoice directly to the printer using the printer object:

Printer.FontName = "Courier New"
Printer.FontSize = 8

Printer.Print
Printer.Print
Printer.Print Space(1); txtCPer.Text
Printer.Print
Printer.Print Space(1); txtCusName & " - " & txtCusCode
Printer.Print
Printer.Print Space(1); txtCusAddr.Text
Printer.Print
Printer.Print Space(1); txtAd2.Text
Printer.Print
Printer.Print Space(35); sTel1
Printer.Print Space(35); Stel2
Printer.Print Space(35); MyUserName & " " & UCase(Format(Now, "DD-MMM-YY"))

Printer.NewPage
Printer.EndDoc

--Question:
Can we possibly transform this code into a Forms compatible approach using the HOST you've told me?
Im not familiar with the host command...

thanks in advance,
ASh
Re: Help: Sending output directly to printer [message #7312 is a reply to message #7293] Wed, 04 June 2003 01:01 Go to previous message
Maaher
HOST(command VARCHAR2) is the *Forms* built-in that accepts a string and passes this string to the client's OS and the OS executes it literally.

There's another built-in, called WINEXEC, but that requires the D2KWUTIL.PLL library (This can be found somewhere on your. $ORACLE_HOME$ directory).

With the TEXT_IO built-in, you can create files.

With the PRINT built-in, you print the current window to a file.

If I were you, I would create a Report and call that from Forms. You can redirect it to a printer. It is nice and clean (no messy code or tricks).

MHE
Previous Topic: How to add a row counter while retriving the records
Next Topic: Packages in sys user.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:23:53 CDT 2024