Home » Server Options » Replication » Help in Implementation of a Simple Oracle Replicated database
Help in Implementation of a Simple Oracle Replicated database [message #75024] Sun, 04 March 2001 18:34 Go to next message
Ganeshbabu Venkat
i'm ganeshbabu, a master's student at SIUE. i have a few questions regarding the implementation of a replicated database.because i have got an oppurtunity to work on this project

this is the situation.

i have 2 NT boxes running oracle.and i have to create a database say for an order(with 4 tables) in the 2 NT machines.the real issue is that the database exists in both the servers and if i update or modify or do whatever operation to the database in the 1st server it should automatically get done in the database in the second server.this is the requirement of the project.

i would like someone to suggest me in a nut shell what are all the steps involved in accomplishing this sort of a work.and wahat sort of a technology can one use in synchronizing the databases ,i would also like you to tell me how feasible will this be in 3 -4 months time bcos i will have to get done by that time.if you can do this that would be great.i would also like to suggest some books for getting this material.looking forward to hearing from you soon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Help in Implementation of a Simple Oracle Replicated database [message #75025 is a reply to message #75024] Mon, 05 March 2001 13:13 Go to previous message
Phil
what version of oracle are you using? If you are using oracle 8i then, here is a cheap ($$$) way out:

1. Set up a standby database (secondary), which should have pretty much the same config. as your primary.

2. Then in the "init<sid>.ora" file of the primary db, do the following:

a. start archive process(es)
b. go into archive mode
c. allow one of your archive files be a remote service (using the standy db as your remote SID)

If not using the above, you may be looking at doing OPS (which has its pluses and disadvantages, especially diaster planning)... Its a whole lot more expensive too.

Hope that helps...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous Topic: Setting up a new snapshot site from a dump of an existing one
Next Topic: how to get the priviledge of sysdba and sysoper?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:42:33 CDT 2024