Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » HOW TO REMOVE CONTROL CHARACTERS IN ORACLE TABLE FIELD
HOW TO REMOVE CONTROL CHARACTERS IN ORACLE TABLE FIELD [message #7164] Mon, 26 May 2003 00:29 Go to next message
A.BADRAIAH
Dear experts,

In oracle table field data some of control characters
are inserted like control-M etc,.

kindly guide me how to remove them.

with kind regards,
BADRAIAH,
Re: HOW TO REMOVE CONTROL CHARACTERS IN ORACLE TABLE FIELD [message #7171 is a reply to message #7164] Mon, 26 May 2003 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Use ASCII/CHR to filter out the undesired characters.
Horizontal tab = ASCII 9
NewLine = ASCII 10
Vertical Tab = ASCII 11
NewPage = ASCII 12
Carriage Return = ASCII 13
Delete = ASCII 95

Method 1: You have a limited set of special characters in the text (let's say only newline and newpage are present):
UPDATE your_table
   SET your_column = REPLACE( REPLACE( your_column, chr(12),''),chr(10),'')
/
As you can see, it is fairly simple: just nest the replace statement for each ascii value you want out.

Method 2: You have a lot of special characters to omit and you don't like nesting them in replace statements.

Write a function which scans through a given text and which strips all characters that aren't in the ASCII range of desired characters. It should be something like:
FUNCTION fun$strip(p_text in VARCHAR2)
RETURN VARCHAR2
IS
  v_return VARCHAR2(2000) := NULL;
BEGIN
  For i In length(p_text)
  Loop
    IF ASCII(substr(p_text,i,1)) in (your_range_of_valid_chars) Then
      v_return := v_return||substr(p_text,i,1);
    END IF;
  End Loop;
  RETURN v_return;
END;<PRE>In SQL you could do an update using the function:<PRE>UPDATE your_table
   SET your_column = fun$strip(your_column);

The code in the function is written on the fly, so check ( and improve ) before using it. It's just to give you an idea.

HTH,
MHE
Finding those with control characters [message #11486 is a reply to message #7171] Mon, 29 March 2004 10:39 Go to previous message
Matthew Iskra
instead of updating everything, use a select to see which columns offend and then modify your update to only modify the qualifiying rows.

Exempli Gratia:

SELECT your_column
FROM your_table
WHERE your_column LIKE '%'||CHR(10)||'%';

That should assist those, like, that have huge tables with only a few offenders.

--Matthew
Previous Topic: table creation question
Next Topic: Exit/Close current session
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:48:34 CDT 2024