Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Missing Expression Error
Missing Expression Error [message #7080] Tue, 20 May 2003 08:00 Go to next message
Ray
Hi, I am a newbie to SQL

I get this error:

==> SQLException:

SQLState: 42000
ErrorCode: 936

when trying to execute the statement below. Please let me know if you need more information. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

SELECT METRIX_PROJECT_TASK.REQUEST_ID, METRIX_PROJECT_TASK.PROJ_TASK_ID, METRIX_PROJECT_TASK.EXPORT_TASK, Left([[METRIX_REQUEST]].[[PLACE_ID]],2) AS OpCo, METRIX_PERSON.FIRST_NAME FROM METRIX_PERSON INNER JOIN (METRIX_PROJECT_TASK INNER JOIN METRIX_REQUEST ON METRIX_PROJECT_TASK.REQUEST_ID = METRIX_REQUEST.REQUEST_ID) ON METRIX_PERSON.PERSON_ID = METRIX_PROJECT_TASK.PERSON_ID WHERE (((METRIX_PROJECT_TASK.EXPORT_TASK) Is Null) AND ((Left([[METRIX_REQUEST]].[[PLACE_ID]],2))=25) AND ((METRIX_PERSON.FIRST_NAME)="GLVND"));
Re: Missing Expression Error [message #7082 is a reply to message #7080] Tue, 20 May 2003 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Chadderton
Hmm... looks like an Access or (put microsoft product here) SQL this, basically, your problem is the Left function, doesn't exist in oracle, i..e

SQL> select left([[dummy]], 2) from dual;
select left([[dummy]], 2) from dual
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00936: missing expression

The Oracle alternative is

SQL> SELECT SUBSTR('XYZ', 1, 2) FROM DUAL;

SU
--
XY

You will also have problems with the double quotes, i.e.

SQL> SELECT "xyz" from dual;
SELECT "xyz" from dual
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00904: invalid column name

Oracle uses single quotes

Regards.
Re: Missing Expression Error [message #7083 is a reply to message #7082] Tue, 20 May 2003 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ray
Martin,

Thanks for your suggestion, but after replacing left with substr and putting single quotes, I still get same error message. Any other ideas? Thanks. This is what I have now:

SELECT METRIX_PROJECT_TASK.REQUEST_ID, METRIX_PROJECT_TASK.PROJ_TASK_ID, METRIX_PROJECT_TASK.EXPORT_TASK, SUBSTR([[METRIX_REQUEST]].[[PLACE_ID]],2) AS OpCo, METRIX_PERSON.FIRST_NAME FROM METRIX_PERSON INNER JOIN (METRIX_PROJECT_TASK INNER JOIN METRIX_REQUEST ON METRIX_PROJECT_TASK.REQUEST_ID = METRIX_REQUEST.REQUEST_ID) ON METRIX_PERSON.PERSON_ID = METRIX_PROJECT_TASK.PERSON_ID WHERE (((METRIX_PROJECT_TASK.EXPORT_TASK) Is Null) AND ((SUBSTR([[METRIX_REQUEST]].[[PLACE_ID]],2))=25) AND ((METRIX_PERSON.FIRST_NAME)='GLVND'));
Re: Missing Expression Error [message #7089 is a reply to message #7083] Tue, 20 May 2003 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
You also need to remove the square brackets - [[]].
Re: Missing Expression Error [message #7091 is a reply to message #7089] Tue, 20 May 2003 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ray
Thanks, Todd, that error went away but now I get the error that the SQL command was not properly ended.
Re: Missing Expression Error [message #7092 is a reply to message #7091] Tue, 20 May 2003 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
You are trying to run this on Oracle 9i, correct? The INNER JOIN syntax is not valid on 8i or earlier.
Re: Missing Expression Error [message #7093 is a reply to message #7092] Tue, 20 May 2003 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ray
It's version 8.174. What would be valid instead of INNER JOIN? Thanks.
Re: Missing Expression Error [message #7094 is a reply to message #7093] Tue, 20 May 2003 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
select pt.request_id,
       pt.proj_task_id,
       pt.export_task,
       substr(r.place_id, 1, 2) as opco,
       p.first_name
  from metrix_person p,
       metrix_project_task pt,
       metrix_request r
 where p.first_name = 'GLVND'
   and pt.person_id = p.person_id
   and pt.export_task is null
   and r.request_id = pt.request_id 
   and substr(r.place_id, 1, 2) = '25';

Note that the joins are handled in the WHERE clause and that the LEFT(<value>, 2) call is replaced by SUBSTR(<value>, 1, 2). I also used aliases to make the column references more readable.
Re: Missing Expression Error [message #7108 is a reply to message #7094] Wed, 21 May 2003 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ray
I'm getting a "ORA-00911: invalid character" error now. I copied your code exactly. Also, are you referring "25" here as a string? I think its meant to be referred as a integer. Sorry, I am new to SQL. Thanks.
Re: Missing Expression Error [message #7112 is a reply to message #7108] Wed, 21 May 2003 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
I don't see anything that would cause the ORA-00911 error. Do you get this error when running the query from SQL*Plus?

The '25' is a string because the SUBSTR function returns a string. You could also do:

to_number(substr(r.place_id, 1, 2)) = 25

Oracle will do implicit conversions for you, but it is a good idea to be explicit with datatype conversions so there is no confusion. I am assuming here that the datatype of the place_id column is VARCHAR2.
Re: Missing Expression Error [message #7114 is a reply to message #7112] Wed, 21 May 2003 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ray
I don't have sql plus. I am running this from my Java program and making a jdbc connection to an Oracle server 8
Re: Missing Expression Error [message #7115 is a reply to message #7114] Wed, 21 May 2003 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
Is it possible it is complaining about the semicolon at the end?
Re: Missing Expression Error [message #7116 is a reply to message #7115] Wed, 21 May 2003 15:23 Go to previous message
Ray
Yup. that what it is--i always thought that you have to end the sql with that until a dba here told me to use just get rid of it. Thanks. Now I'm getting a table or view does not exist-LOL(the errors just keep comin') which I guess is something I have to solve on my own.
Previous Topic: Result set of this format
Next Topic: Retrieving data about a table (e.g., column names)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:40:49 CDT 2024