Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Cursor Usage
Cursor Usage [message #6806] Tue, 06 May 2003 19:45 Go to next message
Sankar B. Mandalika
Hi,

Here is a stored prcedure that I have written. Basically there are two tables that are involved viz
tab1 and tab2. They both have a common field called ec_id. In tab2, there are many flag fields associated with each ec_id. My goal is for every ec_id that is identical in both the tables, I need to update all the flag fields in tab2 for that particular ec_id to yes.
If anybody can comment on what I wrote, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, once this update is done, I need to delete those matching ec_id entries from tab1. How can I do it?

Many thanks,
Sankar.

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE CVProc AS

BEGIN

CURSOR cur_comp IS
SELECT fld1 FROM tab1
WHERE ec_id = tab2.ec_id
FOR UPDATE NOWAIT;
BEGIN
FOR i IN cur_comp LOOP
UPDATE tab2 SET
flag = 'yes',
WHERE ec_id = i.ec_id;

END LOOP;
END;
END;
/
Re: Cursor Usage [message #6810 is a reply to message #6806] Wed, 07 May 2003 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
You shouldn't use a cursor loop - this can all be done in just two SQL statements.

update t2
   set flag1 = 'yes', flag2 = 'yes'
 where exists (select null
                 from t1
                where t1.ec_id = t2.ec_id);

delete
  from t1
 where exists (select null
                 from t2
                where t2.ec_id = t1.ec_id);

You have not given us any idea as to the relative sizes of these tables (same size, t1 much bigger than t2, t2 bigger than t1, etc.). The two statements might change a bit depending on your answers, but it'll still be just two statements - no cursor loop at all.
Re: Cursor Usage [message #6827 is a reply to message #6810] Wed, 07 May 2003 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sankar B. Mandalika
Many thanks Todd, for your response and explanation. Basically, t1 is going to be a lot smaller than t2. t1 will basically have data for each day and after the above processing, I am making it smaller in size by deleting those entries. However, t2 will retain everything and will be considerably larger in size compared to t1. If you can confirm whether the suggestion given by you can be used w/o any changes, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again.
Sankar.
Re: Cursor Usage [message #6829 is a reply to message #6827] Wed, 07 May 2003 12:18 Go to previous message
Todd Barry
With t1 being a lot smaller, I would change the first statement to:

update t2
   set flag1 = 'yes', flag2 = 'yes' 
 where ec_id in (select ec_id
                   from t1);

The second statement is fine as is.
Previous Topic: ORA-00600 (Error during EXECUTE IMMEDIATE)
Next Topic: DBMS_JOB Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:13:58 CDT 2024