Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Oracle 8i Personal Edition
Oracle 8i Personal Edition [message #6681] Thu, 01 May 2003 15:36 Go to next message
Kenton Cronberg
To whom it may concern:

I am in a certified Oracle DBA training program and am preparing for the first certificate examination. I also have a CD containing 'Oracle 8i Personal Edition Version 8.1.5' for my Windows 98 SE in my home computer. Before I am to install it in my home computer, I want to ask you a few questions to see if it would be worthwhile for me to have the Personal Edition in my home computer. While I was studying the first part 'Introduction to Oracle: SQL and PL/SQL', I have been using an Oracle DBA server in a PC at a training school to do several practice exercises. I wonder if I could have like an Oracle DBA server in my home computer after installing whatever software from the Oracle 8i Personal Edition CD. Can it be done? That is, can I create and manage the database objects such as tables, views, indexes and sequences in my home computer using Windows 98 SE after installing whatever from the CD? If so, could you please give me the complete installation instructions so that I would be using the appropriate installed software and/or tools from the CD?

When I study the second part ‘Architecture and Administration', I will learn how to create the Oracle databases in an Oracle DBA server at school. Will I also be able to create the Oracle databases in my home computer after installing whatever from the CD? If so, could you please give me the complete installation instructions.

In other words, I like to know what is the real purpose for having the Oracle 8i Personal Edition in the first place. Could you tell me what is its main purpose?

I will await your answers to all of my above questions. I am hoping that I can have like an Oracle DBA server in my home computer. I am excited.

Thank you very much for your assistance.
Re: Oracle 8i Personal Edition [message #6705 is a reply to message #6681] Fri, 02 May 2003 05:49 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
Kenton,

By all means, install the Oracle 8i Personal Edition Version 8.1.5 from your CD on your home computer, so you can practice. I don't know where you got your CD from, but you should have received some minimal installation instructions it with it, although you just insert the CD and follow the on-screen instructions. It should tell you what is required for the installation, so read the screens carefully to determine if you have enough space on your hard drive and so forth. When it gives you a choice between server and client, that's when you want to select server, so that you can create things on it. The client is only used for connecting to a server.

There are some limitations to Oracle 8i Personal Edition Version 8.1.5. The Personal Edition doesn't have as many features available as Enterprise Edition and version 8.1.5 doesn't have all the new things that versions 8.1.6, 8.1.7, and 9i have. For example, you won't be able to use analytic functions. If this is the version that your school is using, then you probably want to install this same version, in order to be compatible. Otherwise, spend about $30 and get the latest version from Oracle.

What is the name of this "training school" and where is it? They should be able to provide guidance on such matters. However, if you have additional problems, please feel free to post them here.

Barbara
Previous Topic: Trigger related question
Next Topic: Scripting Calculation / Table Creation Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:09:05 CDT 2024