Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Interrupt a tree search
Interrupt a tree search [message #6553] Thu, 24 April 2003 16:44 Go to next message
Per W
Hi,

I have a tree table. Starting from a given point in the tree I need to descend down towards the leafs. CONNECT BY PRIOR is useful for this.

FOR obj_cursor IN (SELECT id, type FROM tree_table
START WITH id=v_id CONNECT BY PRIOR id=parent_id)
LOOP
END LOOP;

Lets assume that the value of type can be 'green' or 'red'. As long as type is 'green' I want to proceed, but as soon as I hit a node which is 'red' I want to interrupt all further processing in this branch of the tree, i.e. ignore all the children of the 'red' node. The reason to do this is that I believe there are some performance gains in doing it.

Please, show me some ideas how to do this.

Thanks for your time.

Per.
Re: Interrupt a tree search [message #6554 is a reply to message #6553] Thu, 24 April 2003 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
I understand that you want to bypass children of a red node, but does that red node itself get processed?
Re: Interrupt a tree search [message #6555 is a reply to message #6554] Thu, 24 April 2003 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Per W
>> does that red node itself get processed?
No.

Per.
Re: Interrupt a tree search [message #6556 is a reply to message #6555] Thu, 24 April 2003 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Per W
I'm sorry, but I oversimplified my example. The decision to stop process a specific branch is not directly related to the 'type' value. Instead 'type' is actually a name of a table from which I have to fetch the row matching the 'id' value. In this row there is a column that has the value 'red' or 'green'.
(So I need to use some dynamic sql inside the loop)

Now I have probably lost many readers, but maybe someone is still around...
Re: Interrupt a tree search [message #6557 is a reply to message #6556] Thu, 24 April 2003 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
I did this quick example before I saw your latest reply, but the same concept applies. You could create a function that accepts a table name. In that function, do the NDS lookup and return a value as appropriate. In the expanded CONNECT BY clause (see second example below), instead of directly evaluating the value of TYPE_, call the function and evaluate the return value:

sql>select id, parent_id, type_
  2    from t
  3   start with id = 1
  4   connect by prior id = parent_id;

ID PARENT_ID TYPE_
--------- --------- ----------
        1           GREEN
        2         1 GREEN
       20         2 GREEN
        3         1 RED
       30         3 RED
        4         1 GREEN
       40         4 GREEN
       41         4 GREEN
       42         4 RED
       43        42 GREEN

10 rows selected.

sql>select id, parent_id, type_
  2    from t
  3   start with id = 1
  4   connect by prior id = parent_id <b>and type_ <> 'RED'</b>;

ID PARENT_ID TYPE_
--------- --------- ----------
        1           GREEN
        2         1 GREEN
       20         2 GREEN
        4         1 GREEN
       40         4 GREEN
       41         4 GREEN

6 rows selected.
Re: Interrupt a tree search [message #6598 is a reply to message #6557] Mon, 28 April 2003 01:12 Go to previous message
Per W
Thank you very much for your help Todd!
Previous Topic: Architecture of Oracle
Next Topic: Add a NOT NULL column withount affecting the previous data
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:46:39 CDT 2024