Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » TNS-12535 errors
TNS-12535 errors [message #69733] Wed, 27 February 2002 10:57 Go to next message
Sean Collier
I am having some troubles connecting to a remote DB view SQLPLus 8.1.7. I belive that the remote DB has recently put a firewall in front of it but I am able to get the machine via ftp. I have been told by the remote side that I should have access on all appropriate ports.

I need to verify that I have not done something stupid on my end. I have been able to connect to this machine before approx 2 weeks ago via SQLPlus and the listener is running.

While reading previsou messages I decided to try the log and trace abilities and got the following results. from the listener.trc file:

nncpmlf_make_local_addrfile: construction of local names file failed
nncpmsf_make_sys_addrfile: system names file is E:OracleOra81networkadmintnsnames.ora
nscall: connecting...
nttbnd2addr: port resolved to 1521
nttbnd2addr: looking up IP addr for host: server.name.removed
nsopen: opening transport...
nttcnp: Validnode Table IN use; err 0x0
nttcni: trying to connect to socket 408.
ntt2err: soc 408 error - operation=1, ntresnt[[0]]=505, ntresnt[[1]]=60, ntresnt[[2]]=0
nserror: nsres: id=0, op=65, ns=12535, ns2=12560; nt[[0]]=505, nt[[1]]=60, nt[[2]]=0; ora[[0]]=0, ora[[1]]=0, ora[[2]]=0
nsopen: unable to open transport

And I got the following in the client.trc file:

nigini: Count in NI global area now: 1
nigini: Count in NI global area now: 1
nrigbni: Unable to get data from navigation file tnsnav.ora
nncpmlf_make_local_addrfile: construction of local names file failed
nncpmsf_make_sys_addrfile: system names file is E:OracleOra81networkadmintnsnames.ora
niotns: niotns: setting up interrupt handler...
niotns: Not trying to enable dead connection detection.
niotns: Calling address: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=serve.name.removed)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=norvel)(CID=(PROGRAM=E:OracleOra81binSQLPLUSW.EXE)(HOST=SERVER)(USER=scollier))))
nscall: connecting...
nttbnd2addr: port resolved to 1521
nttbnd2addr: looking up IP addr for host: server.name.removed
nsopen: opening transport...
nttcnp: Validnode Table IN use; err 0x0
nttcni: trying to connect to socket 428.
ntt2err: soc 428 error - operation=1, ntresnt[[0]]=505, ntresnt[[1]]=60, ntresnt[[2]]=0
nserror: nsres: id=0, op=65, ns=12535, ns2=12560; nt[[0]]=505, nt[[1]]=60, nt[[2]]=0; ora[[0]]=0, ora[[1]]=0, ora[[2]]=0
nsopen: unable to open transport
nioqper: error from nscall
nioqper: nr err code: 0
nioqper: ns main err code: 12535
nioqper: ns (2) err code: 12560
nioqper: nt main err code: 505
nioqper: nt (2) err code: 60
nioqper: nt OS err code: 0
niqme: reporting NS-12535 error as ORA-12535
niomapnserror: returning error 12535

I am totally in the dark here about what is happening. I really feel that it must be the changes on thier side but I cant confirm that. I was hoping someone here could help me figure a way to determine where the breakdown is happening.

-Sean Collier
Re: TNS-12535 errors [message #69734 is a reply to message #69733] Wed, 27 February 2002 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
If you can tnsping the database it isn't the firewall. Oracle suggests this if tnsping works:

Intermittent ora-12535 is usually an indication that the requested connection could not be completed within the timeout period specified by the CONNECT_TIMEOUT parameter in the LISTENER.ORA file.

The suggested solutions include:

1. Setting the connect_timeout_listener_name parameter in listener.ora to 0.

2. Setting up a second listener in a different port.

If this doesn't work log a tar.

If tnsping doesn't work I would ask them if they have allowed port 1521 passage through the firewall.
Re: TNS-12535 errors [message #69743 is a reply to message #69733] Thu, 28 February 2002 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
No put it here:

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION =
(CONNECT_TIMEOUT=30)(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = server)(PORT = 1521))
)

Are you able to tnsping the database. Go to a DOS window and type "tnsping fire"?
Re: TNS-12535 errors [message #69749 is a reply to message #69733] Fri, 01 March 2002 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean Collier
I finally got confirmation from the remote side that firewall port 1521 is open. I attempted a telnet session to the server specifying port 1521 and got a connection. But I still can not get through with SQLPlus. I have included my current listener file below, is the timeout set up correctly? What is a tar?

This is my current listener.ora file:

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION =
(CONNECT_TIMEOUT = 0)(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = server)(PORT = 1521))
)

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = E:OracleOra81)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
(SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = fire)
(ORACLE_HOME = E:OracleOra81)
(SID_NAME = fire)
)
)

TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER=USER
TRACE_FILE_LISTENER=LISTENERtrace
TRACE_DIRECTORY_LISTENER = e:OracleOra81networktrace

Then my tnsnames.ora file is:
EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA.FIREPOPPY.COM =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)

SHOP1.FIREPOPPY.COM =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(CONNECT_TIMEOUT=0)(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = server.name.removed)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = serviceName)
)
)

FIRE.FIREPOPPY.COM =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = server)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = fire)
)
)

####################################
# Date..........: Tue Aug 28 20:46:43 PDT 2001
####################################

INST1_HTTP.FIREPOPPY.COM =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = server)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = SHARED)
(SERVICE_NAME = fire)
(PRESENTATION = http://Server/admin)
)
)

TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = ADMIN
TRACE_FILE_LISTENER = listener
TRACE_DIRECTORY_LISTENER =E:OracleOra81networktrace
Re: TNS-12535 errors [message #69752 is a reply to message #69733] Fri, 01 March 2002 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
If the port is open then you can remove the TIMEOUT parameter. This wouldn't be the problem. A TAR is Oracle's method of correcting problems with clients with a current service contract. Post your sqlnet.ora file. First try "tnsping FIRE.FIREPOPPY.COM". Does that work? Did anything change with your tnsnames, listener, or sqlnet ora files since you were able to connect the last time?
Re: TNS-12535 errors [message #69754 is a reply to message #69733] Fri, 01 March 2002 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean Collier
I was able to tnsping the local DB fire.firepoppy.com yesterday and got a response back from it. I have since reinstalled the Net8 clinet stuff from Oracle in order to confirm that nothing has happened to the client libraries. I re-established the tnsnames.ora file and confirmed thier addresses.

Thanks again for your help on this one. It is really driving me batty.

Below is the new sqlnet.ora file:
# SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File: E:OracleOra81NETWORKADMINsqlnet.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = firepoppy.com

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

SQLNET.CRYPTO_SEED = 4fhfguweotcadsfdsafjkdsfqp5f201p45mxskdlfdas
NAMES.PREFERRED_SERVERS = server.firepoppy.com
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = 16
TNSPING.TRACE_LEVEL=user
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=USER
TRACE_FILE_CLIENT=CLIENT
TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT =E:OracleOra81networktrace
Re: TNS-12535 errors [message #69756 is a reply to message #69754] Fri, 01 March 2002 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
If you could tnsping fire.firepoppy.com then you should be able to get to it with sqlplus. fire.firepoppy.com is the host string. Does that work?
Re: TNS-12535 errors [message #69758 is a reply to message #69754] Fri, 01 March 2002 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean Collier
It isnt the local DB that I am having trouble with it is the remote connection to shop1.firepoppy.com. Althought now that I am running around with my head cut off it looks I may have mucked up all kinds of things. I am getting a TNS-12154 error for all DBs now.

But when I add a new service through the net8 client and specify the remote DB to connect to I still get a timeout error which was the original problem. I think I am totally lost now.

What is the control file the I need to edit to stop the TNS 12154 error (could not resolve service name)?
Re: TNS-12535 errors [message #70791 is a reply to message #69733] Tue, 23 July 2002 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Samir Saha
Hi Sean,

Looking at the problem you faced some time back with oracle client connectivity to the database server behind a firewall, I am having the same problem and the trace file generated after the tnsping shows the same problem with the socket. If you have find a solution for the problem and let me know I will be grateful to you.

Thanks

Samir Saha
Re: TNS-12535 errors [message #71668 is a reply to message #69733] Fri, 13 December 2002 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan-Erik Hagelund
We experienced that a bluetooth installation on the machine made socket opening fail on local TCP (tcp connections to database from sqlplus client on same machine) connections. Disabling bluetooth made things work. I guess that we could have configured the bluetooth differently and enabling concurrent use, but theisse has not been explored.
Re: TNS-12535 errors [message #73926 is a reply to message #69734] Wed, 04 August 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paresh
If you can TNSping the database it isn't the firewall. Oracle suggests this if TNSping works:
Intermittent ora-12535 is usually an indication that the requested connection could not be completed within the timeout period specified by the CONNECT_TIMEOUT parameter in the LISTENER.ORA file.

The suggested solutions include:

1. Setting the connect_timeout_listener_name parameter in listener.ora to 0.

2. Setting up a second listener in a different port.

If this doesn't work log a tar.

If TNSping doesn't work I would ask them if they have allowed port 1521 passage through the firewall.
Re: TNS-12535 errors [message #73927 is a reply to message #69743] Wed, 04 August 2004 02:11 Go to previous message
Paresh
LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION =
(CONNECT_TIMEOUT=30)(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = server)(PORT = 1521))
)

Are you able to TNSping the database. Go to a DOS window and type "TNSping fire
Previous Topic: Statspack
Next Topic: Restoring part of the contents of a full database export
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:50:35 CDT 2024