Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Can I do this with triggers?
Can I do this with triggers? [message #582] Fri, 22 February 2002 08:36 Go to next message
Jennifer Lautenschlager
Here's the question. As a warning, I'm a database newbie just trying to verify claims from others on the project, since there's a bit of uncertainty. I'm sure I'm using the wrong words to describe what I mean.

We've got a database with a number of tables in it, somewhere around 60 or so. There's about, oh, 8 fields on average in a table. It's unknown at present how many records might be stored in any given table, as an upper limit estimate. There's all different value types, the standard ones anyway, being stored.

We're tasked with building a system that propagates change events. That is, whenever any value anywhere changes, we're supposed to generate a message (through our messaging system) to that effect. So, for example, one such message might say that in the MOVEMENT_COMMAND table, in the x_position column, the value changed in the record identified by unique_id 237. So basically the change events have to indicate a particular field, in a particular record, in a particular table (though not necessarily the particular value it changed from or to).

Is this possible to do with triggers, in some feasible manner? The word I've gotten from the developers is 'not really'.
Re: Can I do this with triggers? [message #609 is a reply to message #582] Mon, 25 February 2002 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratap kumar tripathy
yes u can do
Re: Can I do this with triggers? [message #639 is a reply to message #609] Mon, 25 February 2002 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rock
does anyone have an example of this I'd be interested to see.....
Re: Can I do this with triggers? [message #708 is a reply to message #609] Wed, 27 February 2002 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnson
We have a similar requirement where we need to capture the column name and changed value of the table when there is a update on it.

Can you please tell us how we can do this using triggers?

Thanks
Johnson
Re: Can I do this with triggers? [message #713 is a reply to message #708] Thu, 28 February 2002 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratap kumar tripathy
write before update trigger on the desired table and write updated column value before and after , to the another table.
Re: Can I do this with triggers? [message #2190 is a reply to message #582] Wed, 26 June 2002 14:47 Go to previous message
Jamie
I'm just writing to say, I don't really understand your question. I mean, could you word it any less vague? I am currently a computer science major at the University of Vancouver, and maybe I'm dumb, I mean, I feel like an invisible person have the time. Maybe it's because I'm a girl, a young girl at that. Whatever. Just try not to be so wordy next time! All your talk of triggers got me really hot, by the way.
Jamie Athame
Previous Topic: View Creation
Next Topic: ORA-00600:[12333]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:01:07 CDT 2024