Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Standby database on raw devices
Standby database on raw devices [message #64583] Thu, 10 February 2005 11:50 Go to next message
costantino
I know the steps to create physical standby database on file systems and I have already used it and works properly.
On other system with SUN Cluster, I need to install Oracle 10g RAC and use Data Guard to align database on Disaster & Recovery site.
Primary database is created on several raw devices and my problem consists in copying a cold backup (image copy) of all the raw devices used in primary database on the Disaster & Recovery site that has the same disks structure with the same (names and dimensions) raw devices created.
The use of file systems on secondary site using DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT is impossible (customer request) and I don't know if using the dd command (how, what bs, and so on) can resolve the problem.
There is another way?
Can sameone help me?
Thanks
Re: Standby database on raw devices [message #64608 is a reply to message #64583] Mon, 14 February 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

If you don't want to use dd, use RMAN to make datafile copies.

BTW: DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT work perfectly well with databases on filesystem and RAW volumes.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Standby database on raw devices [message #64610 is a reply to message #64608] Mon, 14 February 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
costantino
Ciao Frank,
DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT are used on logical standby DB, and I want to realize a physical standby DB. So, I don't need to use them.
I'm not familiar with RMAN but I try to use it.
If you have time to continue to help me, you could give me a short procedure to backup&restore DB using RMAN. Otherwise thanks very much for your help.
Re: Standby database on raw devices [message #64626 is a reply to message #64610] Wed, 16 February 2005 05:06 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Hi,

You mean DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT are only applicable to physical standby databases.

See section "Preparing to Use RMAN to Create a Standby Database" in the Data Guard Concepts and Administration Guide.

Best regards.

Frank
Previous Topic: Problem in cloning operation from the standby DB
Next Topic: Logical Standby Performance overhead
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:58:14 CDT 2024