Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server (11.0.2.10)
Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659948] Mon, 06 February 2017 04:00 Go to next message
OraFerro
Hi All,

I want to use UTL_MAIL package to send emails from Oracle using email account from a Kerio Connect 9 mail server.

The first step, according to my reading, is to add an initialization parameter in initORACLE_SID.ora.

I am using a development machine that connects to Oracle using instant client 12 and I need guidance.

Many thanks,
Ferro
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659949 is a reply to message #659948] Mon, 06 February 2017 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
What was the reading you have done? Did it mention creating the UTL_MAIL package?

[Updated on: Mon, 06 February 2017 04:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659950 is a reply to message #659949] Mon, 06 February 2017 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
Thanks John for pointing this out, I wrongly understood that "UTL_MAIL is not installed by default due to SMTP_OUT_SERVER configuration" means that I have to configure it first.

Actually I dont have utlmail.sql and when I run sqlplus as sys from the development machine that uses instant client 12:
SQL> @$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlmail.sql
SP2-0310: unable to open file "$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlmail.sql"

Appreciate your help
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659951 is a reply to message #659950] Mon, 06 February 2017 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
That file will exist in the ORACLE_HOME of the database server. I would be surprised if it were installed with your Oracle Client. Remember to run the script that creates the package body too.

You omitted to mention what docs you are following.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659952 is a reply to message #659950] Mon, 06 February 2017 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
OraFerro wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 11:38
Actually I dont have utlmail.sql and when I run sqlplus as sys from the development machine that uses instant client 12:
SQL> @$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlmail.sql
SP2-0310: unable to open file "$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlmail.sql"

The correct call is either to expand the $ORACLE_HOME variable (and not using it in this way) or replace "$ORACLE_HOME" by "?" (without the quotes).

And, as John said, don't forget to also call PRVTMAIL.PLB.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 February 2017 04:59]

Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659962 is a reply to message #659948] Mon, 06 February 2017 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
OraFerro wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 05:00
Hi All,

I want to use UTL_MAIL package to send emails from Oracle using email account from a Kerio Connect 9 mail server.
Don't forget to configure Access Control Lists (ACL). If you are not familiar with it, be prepared for some headaches.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659970 is a reply to message #659962] Mon, 06 February 2017 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
or use google and search on "installing utl_mail" and there are 4400 different links on how to do it.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659972 is a reply to message #659952] Mon, 06 February 2017 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
Thanks to John and Michel,

Yes, I am trying the actual path instead of ORACLE_HOME but it give me the error I have reported.
For example:
SQL> @/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.1/dbhome_12/rdbms/admin/utlmail.sql
SP2-0310: unable to open file "/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.1/dbhome_12/rdbms/admin/utlmail.sql"

I meant I am using SQLPLUS from my machine (sorry for the misleading expression "oracle clinet").

How can I solve this problem? I can access the package files from the server, is it possible to use them from my local machine?
Thanks,

[Updated on: Mon, 06 February 2017 23:29]

Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659974 is a reply to message #659972] Tue, 07 February 2017 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

These script(s) exist only on database server.
You can use them on the client if you can access these scripts AND all these ones call.
But, if you can access these scripts on the server, why don't execute them from the server?

Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659977 is a reply to message #659974] Tue, 07 February 2017 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
@Michel,

Quote:
But, if you can access these scripts on the server, why don't execute them from the server?
I wish I could, but I failed after running the command that I shared in my previous post! I want to run it correctly from the server and seek you help to know why I cant.

Thanks,
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659979 is a reply to message #659977] Tue, 07 February 2017 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

There are inconsistencies in your post.
If Oracle returns this error that means you have not the script in this directory and then this is NOT a Oracle server home directory and then the script is not there.
If you execute it from an Oracle server home directory then the script is there and you can't have this error.

So pick up your case and clarify.

Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659982 is a reply to message #659972] Tue, 07 February 2017 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Is this the same database an d Oracle Home in your post here, http://www.orafaq.com/forum/mv/msg/202890/659976/#msg_659976 ? If so, your problem with finding the utlmail.sql script is that your Oracle Home is incorrect.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659984 is a reply to message #659982] Tue, 07 February 2017 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
@John, it is the same DB.
What do you mean by:
Quote:

your Oracle Home is incorrect
What I have is:
SQL> var oracle_home clob;
SQL> exec dbms_system.get_env('ORACLE_HOME', :oracle_home);

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SQL> print oracle_home

ORACLE_HOME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1

SQL> @/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/rdbms/admin/utlmail.sql
SP2-0310: unable to open file "/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/rdbms/admin/utlmail.sql"
SQL>

and this is the path I copied now from my FTP client which includes utlmail.sql:
/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/rdbms/admin

I am sure I have something wrong but needs guidance to know what it is and fix it.

*Please note that the path in the original post is different as I manually changed it (as an example), now I am posting the actual path
Thanks,
Ferro

[Updated on: Tue, 07 February 2017 01:42]

Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659985 is a reply to message #659984] Tue, 07 February 2017 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Come on, man. Read! dbhome_1 is not the same as dbhome_12, which you showed to be using earlier.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659986 is a reply to message #659985] Tue, 07 February 2017 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
@John

I tried to clarify this in my last post as did not want to share the exact path.
Quote:

*Please note that the path in the original post is different as I manually changed it (as an example), now I am posting the actual path
The paths in my last post are consistent and not working unless I am missing something

Thanks,
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659987 is a reply to message #659986] Tue, 07 February 2017 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
So are you now claiming that this,
SQL> @/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.1/dbhome_12/rdbms/admin/utlmail.sql
SP2-0310: unable to open file "/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.1/dbhome_12/rdbms/admin/utlmail.sql"
was not a copy/paste? That you typed it by hand?

Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659988 is a reply to message #659987] Tue, 07 February 2017 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
@john, I know how you think but yes, I copied and pasted and then changed the letters to make it different from actual paths.

Do you think restarting the listener (after bringing back the original sqlnet.ora) is needed?

Thanks,
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659989 is a reply to message #659988] Tue, 07 February 2017 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Nice of you to know how I think. I think you need to start again, and not obfuscate reality which wastes time and reduces the likelihood (and inclination) of anyone assisting.

Here is an action plan:
Log on to your database server, and show that it is your database server.
Set and export your ORACLE_HOME and PATH and ORACLE_SID variables. Demonstrate that they are correct.
Use the ls command to show that the utlmail.sql script doe or does not exist in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin directory.
Do not obfuscate anything.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659990 is a reply to message #659989] Tue, 07 February 2017 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
@John I am posting the exact output from my sqlplus client after connecting as sysdba to the server:
- I noticed that PATH is not set to any value, wanted to change it to ORACLE_HOME\BIN but wanted to post first
- The only output I had to change is the ORACLE_SID as it reveals information that should not be exposed, sorry I had to change it to HADTOCHANGE
- I tried to run host ls command from SQL plus to show from the same session that the file exist but it gives me ls is not recognized... error. Is it OK to run it from Unix shell?
SQL> var oracle_home clob;
SQL> exec dbms_system.get_env('ORACLE_HOME', :oracle_home);

SQL> print oracle_home

ORACLE_HOME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1

SQL> exec dbms_system.get_env('ORACLE_SID', :oracle_home);

SQL> print oracle_home

ORACLE_HOME
HADTOCHANGE

SQL> exec dbms_system.get_env('PATH', :oracle_home);

SQL> print oracle_home

ORACLE_HOME

Thanks,
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659992 is a reply to message #659990] Tue, 07 February 2017 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You have not proved that you are logged onto the DB server machine.
You have not shown setting and exporting your variables.
You have not shown that they are correct.

You have not even shown how you launched sqlplus, which is hard to do without a PATH.

Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659994 is a reply to message #659992] Tue, 07 February 2017 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
If you using the full path and file name for the @ command in sqlplus and getting that error then 1 of the following must be true:
1) you're using the wrong path
2) you're using the wrong filename
3) the oracle osuser can't access the file
4) the file is corrupted (maybe, though this may give a different error).

So check each of those possibilities in turn and sort it out.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659995 is a reply to message #659994] Tue, 07 February 2017 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
@John thanks a lot for baring with me and trying to help,
I am using my Windows 10 SQLPLUS client to connect to the server using sysdba (I am not connected directly to the unix server machine is you mean by this launching sqlplus from the server) - this answers the first and last inquiry. Please tell me if I need to do something else.
How do I show that the variables are correct?
Thanks,

Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659996 is a reply to message #659995] Tue, 07 February 2017 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
@cookiemonster
How do I verify point 3 (its the only possibility up to my observation)?
Thanks,
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659997 is a reply to message #659995] Tue, 07 February 2017 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Now he tells me. Man, this is 100% time wasting. The problem is insoluble with your current situation.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #659999 is a reply to message #659997] Tue, 07 February 2017 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
@John, sorry for disappointing you and thanks for your help and the many times you've helped before.
However this is not a new piece of info, it was my original post and my first message to you yesterday:
Quote:

I am using a development machine that connects to Oracle using instant client 12 and I need guidance.
Quote:

Thanks,
Ferro
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660006 is a reply to message #659999] Tue, 07 February 2017 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Sigh - The @ command looks for a file on the machine that sqlplus is running on. It does not look for a file on the machine the DB is running on.
You need to connect to the DB server and run sqlplus from the DB server.
Or you need to copy the file to your local machine and then point sqlplus to that copy.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660018 is a reply to message #660006] Tue, 07 February 2017 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
However if you are installing utl_mail for everyone to use you must install it as the SYS user. Also, do you realize that utl_mail is just a front end for the DBMS_SMTP package and you don't even need utl_mail installed to send email. There are a lot of pl/sql packages that are available for download that do a very nice job of sending email or you can write your own. If you want to have UTL_MAIL installed then you need to contact your DBA staff that supports the oracle database server and ask that it be installed. Since you don't have the passwords to log into the database server, then you are NOT the correct person to be installing this package.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 February 2017 07:21]

Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660020 is a reply to message #659999] Tue, 07 February 2017 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
OraFerro wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 10:13
@John, sorry for disappointing you and thanks for your help and the many times you've helped before.
However this is not a new piece of info, it was my original post and my first message to you yesterday:
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks,
Ferro
We pointed out that you needed to run it from the server and further down you implied that's what you were now doing:
OraFerro wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 07:01

I wish I could, but I failed after running the command that I shared in my previous post! I want to run it correctly from the server and seek you help to know why I cant.
I guess you misunderstood what run it from the server means.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660047 is a reply to message #660020] Tue, 07 February 2017 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
@Cookiemonseter
Quote:

I guess you misunderstood what run it from the server means.
Yes this is the correct problem definition, to me I meant I want to run the script from the server instead of copying the files and running them from my DB client, did not know that @ sign runs on the machine not the DB server. Thank you.

@Bill B and All,
My requirements is to schedule a job that runs a query and based on query result (list of names, emails, and dates) an email is sent to each name based on a saved email template. Our email server is Kerio connect 9. Based on that, do you have a better recommendation than UTL_MAIL?

Many thanks,
Ferro
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660048 is a reply to message #660047] Tue, 07 February 2017 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
The Kerio connect 9 software should work fine as long as you have the smtp server component configured. Also if you are going to be sending to email addresses outside of your domain you will also have to make sure that relay is turned on but set it to only allow smtp submissions from internal ip addresses or even only the specific ip of the Oracle server. You might want to decide if you want to send a plain text email or an html formatted one. The html email looks much nicer, but up to you. Utl_mail will work fine for what you want to do. As has been stated before you just have to connect as the sys user as the Oracle owning user on the database server to install the package

[Updated on: Tue, 07 February 2017 22:56]

Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660064 is a reply to message #660048] Wed, 08 February 2017 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
The thing about sqlplus is it runs on the client and sends SQL and PL/SQL to the DB and waits for a response. Any sqlplus specific commands are processed locally.
In fact that's true for all DB client tools.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660066 is a reply to message #660064] Wed, 08 February 2017 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
@Bill B
@Cookiemonster
Thanks a lot, I learned a lot from this post
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660093 is a reply to message #660064] Wed, 08 February 2017 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
cookiemonster wrote on Wed, 08 February 2017 04:34
The thing about sqlplus is it runs on the client and sends SQL and PL/SQL to the DB and waits for a response. Any sqlplus specific commands are processed locally.
In fact that's true for all DB client tools.
True, but the OP said that the email would be generated by a Database Scheduled job so the smtp email would come from the database server, not from the client. it all depends how locked down you want the SMTP relay.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660109 is a reply to message #660093] Thu, 09 February 2017 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
I'm talking about the problems he had running in the file. If you realise how clients work then it should become obvious where the files you're trying to run in need to be.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660121 is a reply to message #660109] Thu, 09 February 2017 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
@Bill B
@Cookiemonster

See how easy two people can get confused what each one means? Smile
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660134 is a reply to message #660121] Thu, 09 February 2017 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
OraFerro, you are right. Sorry Cookiemonster I misunderstood you.
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660201 is a reply to message #659948] Sun, 12 February 2017 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
Dear All,

After learning where to execute the script from, I created the package and its body and also configured the mail server (enabled SMTP component and added the Oracle DB server IP to the SMTP senders list)

I failed to send email due to ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available.

I read about it in the internet and tried to re-check my mail server configuration, my SMTP_OUT_SERVER parameter, and also the mail service in Oracle DB AIX server, they all seem fine to me!

Kindly direct me to what might be wrong:
* Below is the exact server prompt with the exception of changing domain name

SQL> alter system set smtp_out_server = 'mail.MYDOMAIN.com';

System altered.

SQL> alter system set smtp_out_server = 'mail.MYDOMAIN.com:25' scope=both;

System altered.

SQL> exec UTL_MAIL.SEND (sender=>'mfarouk@MYDOMAIN.com', recipients=>'itadmin@MYDOMAIN.com', subject=>'Test Message', Message=>'test');
BEGIN UTL_MAIL.SEND (sender=>'mfarouk@MYDOMAIN.com', recipients=>'itadmin@MYDOMAIN.com', subject=>'Test Message', Message=>'test'); END;

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available
ORA-06512: at "SYS.UTL_MAIL", line 654
ORA-06512: at "SYS.UTL_MAIL", line 671
ORA-06512: at line 1

SQL> show parameter smtp_out_server

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
smtp_out_server                      string      mail.MYDOMAIN.com:25
SQL> ^Cexit

SQL> exit
Disconnected from Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
/oracle # ps -ef|grep sendmail 
    root  270494  217224   0   Dec 31      - 23:52 sendmail: accepting connections 

Thanks,
Ferro
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660202 is a reply to message #660201] Sun, 12 February 2017 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
THat error is not an Oracle error, it is from the smtp service. Simple test:
telnet mail.MYDOMAIN.com 25
what does that give you?
Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660203 is a reply to message #660201] Sun, 12 February 2017 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill B
Is the mail domain available in DNS? On the database server at the unix prompt type
ping mail.mydomain.com if it can't find it, it won't work.

In the smtp_out_server you can also specify the IP address instead of the URL. You also don't need to specify the port, it knows to use port 25

If the DNS works then see if you can get to the sntp server by typing the following
telnet mail.mydomain.com 25
If smtp wants to talk to you it will respond

[Updated on: Sun, 12 February 2017 04:00]

Re: Using Oracle UTL_MAIL to send email through Kerio email server [message #660204 is a reply to message #660203] Sun, 12 February 2017 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
OraFerro
@John
@Bill B

Your are right, its a DNS issue, I switched to IP and it worked.

Thanks a lot.
Previous Topic: WHERE Clause With A Range
Next Topic: Full outer join with ZERO rows in Second table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:29:29 CDT 2024